Called Chipsaway after a Gritter lorry encounter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sportyreptile

Car
96 W210 E36 AMG
Travelling home one night last week I approached a gritter ahead, we were coming to a roundabout and he had his right indicator on, so I held back, he did a U turn at the roundabout. As he did I heard a loud thud, a bit of grit hit my headlight or glass I thought.

The following morning I spotted a thumbnail size paint chip :eek: just above the O/S repeater and it's down to the metal :crazy: It's like a festering pustual on an otherwise fairly clean body :crazy: :crazy:

Got in touch with Chipsaway who put me in contact with the local guy, he called today to give me a quote which was a resonable £80. He's going to touch in or polish out a few key scratches around the drivers door handle while he's at it. I can't afford to have the car off the road for a few days at a bodyshop at present.

Having it done next Tuesday morning, weather permitting, so we'll see what the results are like.

aaahh! stone chips, they are indeed the work of the devil!!! got about 5 of the nasty little beggars on my way to attend the kent gtg. good luck with the repair job matey ;)

Good luck with your ChipsAway job, as others have said here the repair is down to the operator. I did a new W211 the other day which was a Merc' direct purchased car.

It came with a nice scratched bumper which I was asked to correct for the new owner (A senior partner in a adult shop chain :eek: ). They were very happy with the work :D .

Paul said:
Good luck with your ChipsAway job, as others have said here the repair is down to the operator. I did a new W211 the other day which was a Merc' direct purchased car.

It came with a nice scratched bumper which I was asked to correct for the new owner

DC and the Stealers contradict themselves. Under the Mobilo Terms & Conditions all the bodywork/paintwork repairs have to be done by an Authorised MB Bodyshop otherwise cover is then invalidated. Here we have a Stealer that has called in Chips Away (a non authorised MB Bodyshop to carryout the bodywork repairs!!!). I personally believe in full panel resprays and am not a fan of smart repairs.

2-picture1.gif

2-picture2.gif

3-picture1.gif

3-picture2.gif

Some before and after pic's of my repairs.

Assuming I've up loaded them correctly :(

Flash said:
DC and the Stealers contradict themselves. Under the Mobilo Terms & Conditions all the bodywork/paintwork repairs have to be done by an Authorised MB Bodyshop otherwise cover is then invalidated. Here we have a Stealer that has called in Chips Away (a non authorised MB Bodyshop to carryout the bodywork repairs!!!). I personally believe in full panel resprays and am not a fan of smart repairs.

I doubt MB UK will be aware that the repair was carried out as it was done by what looks like a work shop trolley being pushed around the car whilst at the stealership. Also it was 95% on the bumper (so no chance of rust) and only a tiny down to metal scratch on the panel under rear light cluster.

good luck with chips away,they only spray the chip they dont fill the chip,so after its done you can still see the chip but its the same colour.i used them a couple of years ago on a clk took the guy 6 hours to do the chips and a scratch then i refused to pay the bill.i contacted the head office and was told as its a franchise they are not interested deal with the guy who did the job..ended up paying the guy half what he wanted as i felt sorry for him,he was trying to sell his franchise as he was saying he has too many complaints but not due to himself down to the system chips away use....save £80 and use another company..

Apparently "Silver" is supposed to be the worse colour to touch up with Chips Away Technology and will be visible depnding on the level of light and the angle that the repair is viewed from, but dark colours are supposed to be ok to blend/match if done by a good Operator such as Paul, for example. Any touch ups/repairs on the bonnet/bootlid/roof will be visible/noticable upon inspection (this is what a Franchisee told me as well due to the location and level of light...).

Stone Chips - difficuclt for Chips Away to do as MercmanUK said.

Flash said:
Apparently "Silver" is supposed to be the worse colour to touch up with Chips Away Technology .

The problem is silver is a heavy paint due to the amount of metal in it, which can cause sag's, run's and if applied too heavy can cause the metal flakes to sink, Also the lacquar (excuse spelling) we use has a high cellulose which if applied to heavy can have a "jet" wash effect.

I know some repairers will not touch a silver car, but I think this may be because you have to use more skill, hence time.

The reason we tend not to touch roofs / bonnets is because its very hard to lose the edge of the repair on a flat panel.

When you can see the edge of the repair from certain angles it is normally because the repair hasn't been blended out properly and not a fault with the product. Like all things are only as good as the operator that uses them.

If anyone wants any advice about these repairs etc Just ask me or e-mail.

Well, he's booked for tomorrow so as long as the weather holds up I'll be finding out if it's any good or not.

I'm taking the camera with me and will take some before and after shots. Fingers (and toes) crossed it's a good job :eek:

Paul said:
Some before and after pic's of my repairs.
Paul - nice enough finish but red at the back and green / blue at the front? :cool: sorry...

sportyreptile said:
Well, he's booked for tomorrow so as long as the weather holds up I'll be finding out if it's any good or not.

I'm taking the camera with me and will take some before and after shots. Fingers (and toes) crossed it's a good job :eek:

Let me know the name of the operator, I have a mate who was on my course that works in S/ Wales.

Paul said:
Let me know the name of the operator, I have a mate who was on my course that works in S/ Wales.

His name was Paul Jarvis, and a good job he's done to. The paint blending is excellent and as yet I can't see an outline of where the defect was. :bannana:

Obviously the paint is still fresh but he's guaranteed the work for 2 years. I have to wait for a few days before washing the car.

One thing though, I forgot the camera this morning in the rush to get out of the house so I don't have any before shots to post up. :rolleyes:

Overall very happy with the work done, it's saved me a few days off the road while the car's in a bodyshop.

sportyreptile said:
Obviously the paint is still fresh but he's guaranteed the work for 2 years. I have to wait for a few days before washing the car.

Its normally after 2 years when poor paintjobs start to show ;) :p

Welcome back Paul! Did you always do paint repairs or is this a new line of work for you? I never realised if you did - you could have made a mint at our GTGs!

sportyreptile said:

The reason for not washing the car is because theres still a chemical reaction taking place under the dry exterior, think fresh nail polish and you get the idea :rolleyes: .

Hello Graham,Hope your well? After my divorce I needed a different job where I had the chance to earn more money to start over again :mad: . I couldnt get any further in old job so hence the change of career :) .

For the first time since being married I have money in my back pocket :D :D .

Welcome back mate!! Doubtless you can have a go at my silver car in due course when I've collected some stonechips:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom