Calling all Merc S Class Users

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheSherriff

Car
Mondeo
Hi all,

I'm a noob on here, but am not a noob to Mercs, having owned an '89 190E 2 litre many years ago.

I reckon this question will promote some good debate...I'm looking at 'mid-life crisis' mad motors, and am considering a Diesel S Class of the 2006-2013 vintage. I don't do many miles per year, so pretty much any cars with any stupid sized engines have been considered, including the SLs of a similar vintage. This is not an urgent purchase and indeed it may not even happen. But on the off chance that it does, what feedback can you guys give me on the cars reliability, assuming it's had regular servicing? Are they OK at 80-100k miles, or am I likely to start seeing bit's going wrong with them? Anything to avoid?

Any views, thoughts welcome.

The possibles considered alongside are (in no particular order)...
Land Rover Disco 3/4
BMW 6 series
Merc SL Class (07 - 08 ish)

I've also looked at Porkers, Astons and so on, but none are that practical since we have no local dealer to look after the cars if you really get stuck with a problem an independent can't crack. So I'm just looking for something a bit off the wall that's not a car everyone has on their driveway, but is reasonably practical and reliable - the practical bit is where the SL let's itself down a bit being only a 2 seater.

Make sure it's got lots of options. No point buying a car like that and going poverty spec.

And yea petrol is much smoother and more fun than diesel.

I guess you can also consider a CL, if the SL is too impractical?

A real mix of cars there with some fitting the mid-life crisis better than others. I can't see the appeal of an S350 in those circumstances but an S with a petrol engine, or even an AMG would be much better.

I have a brand new Disco 4 which is a brilliant all round car and rides about as well as an S Class but doesn't fall over in the bends. Not a mid life crisis car though.

The 6 Series is a brilliant car and reasonably practical. Cheap to buy too.

Avoid the diesel S class with that sort of mileage.

When I bought mine the following major items needed changing

DPF sensor
Turbo breather
EGR valve x2
Manifold flap motor
o2 sensor
glow plug relay
massage seat pump
massage seat inserts

I've also got receipt for an airmatic pump done by the previous owner.

happy days

I agree petrol is the way to go. Given the random selection you suggest can I also suggest the following.
Super charged Range Rover.
CL500/600 (no one wants them for some reason)
SL of any engine.
Jag XKR
E class with a V8 if you can find one.

Thanks for the replies guys, that's given me something to work with. I guess the attraction to the S Class is that it is actually quite practical, i.e. we can all get in it along with any luggage. My only fear with an SL is that it would end up hardly used particularly at weekends since it only seats 2 and there's three of us plus a cocker spaniel to transport round. I shall mull on it, this takes me back to my youth when I almost bought a Ferrari, but I bailed in the end since I couldn't really stomach the £1000 servicing bills.

You're going to put a cocker-spaniel in an S Class? Are you not worried about it's resale value?

Or does it go in a dog-carrier?

I almost bought a Ferrari, but I bailed in the end since I couldn't really stomach the £1000 servicing bills.
Sorry but the S, SL, and 6 are not cheap either.

In fact, (and I may regret saying this), a Ferrari 360/F430 may be cheaper to maintain because you won't be doing anywhere near as many miles as you would with an S.

Also see here for a S class "buying guide" - http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/mercedes-news/184649-w221-buying-advice-buyers-guide.html

If you have a dog, it may be a good idea to look at the C63/RS4/RS6 estate as well?

Last edited:
The W221 is a great car and a unique S-Class IMHO.

Air suspension: it has been mentioned some parts of the system do fail and if they do, it will likely be pricey. Fail occurs around 80k + (or someone please correct me)

320 CDI - Good engine, economy and performance but not better than a petrol IMHO.

Crankshaft bearing can get disturbed immediately after oil Change (high labour costs) - I think this tends to occur in 05-07 engines ( :dk: )

Turbo + egr issues

DPF - if used for town driving then a petrol would be more suitable. However, the DPF system in the W221 are generally problem-free if treated and given the car a 20-30 min spin every month or so.

350 / 500 V6 / V8 petrol: timing chain / sprocket failure (common issue in the US). I'm sure someone else can elaborate on this as there are 3 problems in the bulletin provided by MB, if I remember correctly.

I would personally recommended a W221 with full MB history, reasonable number of owners, mileage and condition. Take a thorough look, if MB history, for extra (non-serviceable) items done on the car.

My dad's W221 had full MB history, before previous service and stuff like seat lubrication @ £200 ! and tyres were carried out / changed by MB. This goes to show that the car was throughly attended to etc, in good hands.

Thanks for the replies guys, that's given me something to work with. I guess the attraction to the S Class is that it is actually quite practical, i.e. we can all get in it along with any luggage. My only fear with an SL is that it would end up hardly used particularly at weekends since it only seats 2 and there's three of us plus a cocker spaniel to transport round. I shall mull on it, this takes me back to my youth when I almost bought a Ferrari, but I bailed in the end since I couldn't really stomach the £1000 servicing bills.

:D So you went for the Mondeo instead, same but cheaper to run? :D

My S-class was a bit of a novelty purchase, but so far has been a great car.

I've had the usual bits to replace, so it has certainly cost a bit to bring it to a good level.

However, the quietness & smoothness of ride has been wonderful and I'm glad I bought it.

And on the practicality side, it certainly is quite practical: loads of space in the car and boot for holidays, shopping etc. I even got an adult mountain bike in the back seat area!

You can't cure mid-life crisis with diesel S-class!!!
You need
CL63

ForumRunner_20150120_185724.jpg

SL63

ForumRunner_20150120_185756.jpg

or my winner 911

ForumRunner_20150120_185852.jpg

An early 911 could easily become an end-life crisis ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom