calling all mobil1 users

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mobeyone

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280 S211
How often do you top up?
I had my c320 serviced about 3k miles ago and got a message advising 1.5l is needed...

I was told by numerous sources this would happen because of how thin the oil is... anyone confirm this?

thanks in advance

Had the car 6 months before i serviced it, never needed oil and no light to indicate this.

Hmmmm.

What could cause this? anyone??

Have just found an old post that says anything upto 1l every 1k miles can be expected............

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I think you must have a problem. Mobil 1 0W40 is in mine and I havent had to top up at all between services (10K interval). Mine always says engine oil OK.

Use Mobil1 TD in mine, never had to top up at all.

Mobil1 0w40 will be the same viscosity as any other brand of 0w40.

I have started putting mobile 1 in all my cars and never dropped a inch between services.

Just to cheer you up last time I had car drinking oil the head gaskets had gone, that was my wife’s old Cclass (01). Wish we had been more on the ball and got a pressure test she drove the car until it broke down it cost us a small fortune to put right.

Anyone who’s interested this is the site that helped me to understand the different oils http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/entrypoint.html?menu.html&engineoil_bible.html.

Ok..........

I found this post http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=16843&highlight=burning

Which seems to be similar to whats happening to me and yes i do drive hard.

Other than the head gasket - what could be the problem and are these expsenive fixes?

Just went out now and checked the oil and it now says engine oil level ok. I only topped up 1 litre but was first advised 1.5........

Last edited:
mobeyone said:
Ok..........

I found this post http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=16843&highlight=burning

Which seems to be similar to whats happening to me and yes i do drive hard.

Other than the head gasket - what could be the problem and are these expsenive fixes?

Just went out now and checked the oil and it now says engine oil level ok. I only topped up 1 litre but was first advised 1.5........

I would suggest it was not topped up properly at the service, didn't run the engine and then check again. See how it goes and worry if it needs another litre in the next 3000 miles. :(

Thanks Brian and to all - always top notch advice!!

The lack of oil did come into my mind becasue i am sure i saw oil left in one of the mobil 1 'cans' i left at the garage which was around 1-2 litres.... Grrr.

Hope you are right! We will see i suppouse!!

mobe

Mine has the same problem, I have to put about 1 to 1.5l in every 5000 miles or so, and the warning comes up on the dash.

AMG only use mobil1, and not had this occur on any of my other cars.

Maff - do you get a warning? I only get an advice message to check engine oil level? Sometimes itr will say perform service on time and sometimes it says ok.

Only tends to come on if i am on the motorway driving around 80-90 or so after 30 mins - but the first it has happened since i serviced it.

mobeyone said:
Maff - do you get a warning? I only get an advice message to check engine oil level? Sometimes itr will say perform service on time and sometimes it says ok.

Only tends to come on if i am on the motorway driving around 80-90 or so after 30 mins - but the first it has happened since i serviced it.

Same for me, only comes uo when cruising, not around town. I get the message in the display saying 'add 1l of oil' (or similar) but no error lights, just the advice message. I can switch the engine off, drive round town for a week and not get the message, but then back on the motorway for a distance and it comes up again. Checked the dip stick and it was a bit low so I topped it up. Done it twice now.

Service indicator seems to show fine to next service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom