Calling all SL60 owners, show me your grilles...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanA2

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
I've been told that my grille needs replacing or refurbishing. I don't really know how it should look. All I know is that it shouldn't be chrome. It's as it was when I bought it. Advice welcome. A few pics. They are a bit deceptive as from a distance it looks more black/dark grey as in the middle pic.

Attachments

• grille45.jpeg
    grille45.jpeg
    25.4 KB · Views: 40
  • grille35.jpeg
    grille35.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 39
  • grille55.jpeg
    grille55.jpeg
    23.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
My SL500 has anodised fins. Yours look very unusual.

May well have , but I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that the 60's had different grilles.

I've just typed SL60AMG grille into google images and the images mostly look like my grille although there are no close ups. I did the same with SL500 and they came up shiny as I expected.

a quick look at google images suggests otherwise. I dont think I've seen a grill on any R129 like your one.

Not that I'm aware...it was bought new when I asked MB about history I was told it was bought new from a main dealer.

How can I check?

If it was an import, it should normally say on the V5.

Looking for a phrase along the lines of "First Registered/Used outside the country"...the exact wording escapes me at this time.

The only one I saw on google with a matt finish grill like yours was a Japanese import. It might be just coincidence.

You should be able to look up the VIN and see.

If it was an import, it should normally say on the V5.

Looking for a phrase along the lines of "First Registered/Used outside the country"...the exact wording escapes me at this time.

I've checked it just says declared new at first registration and gives two dates both of which are the same, ie Dec 1997. I'm pretty sure it was sold by the main dealer in Cambridge, so unlikely to be an import.

The only one I saw on google with a matt finish grill like yours was a Japanese import. It might be just coincidence.

You should be able to look up the VIN and see.

The google link I posted (no 11) shows a few, you have to remember that from a distance it just looks black.

All a bit of a mystery, maybe somebody will post pics of their 60. I'm not terribly concerned about it, in fact I think it looks rather good, I'm just intrigued about how it's supposed to look.

There are a number of google image results for SL60AMG's that look anodised like mine.

close ups too.

Here's another picture, you can see it looks darker.

Attachments

• 60 1-1.jpg
    60 1-1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 18
this one is pretty clear.

File:1995-1998 Mercedes-Benz SL 60 AMG (R129) roadster (2011-03-23) 01.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

So is that paint or chrome or what I can't tell.

you sure you werent thinking of the facelift models having 6 slats instead of 7?

I wasn't thinking of anything, it's just that I've been told my grille isn't right.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom