Calling BMW connoisseurs. What is this car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Conquistador

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 S350L BlueTec
I've got first dibs on this Swiss registered BMW 323i E21. Trouble is, I don't know too much about this particular model. It may be a stupid question, but is that black trim on the bootlid standard? I'm also guessing those bonnet scoops are not. I'm hoping a few on here will appreciate this model and be able to tell me more? The sellers (two French brothers) are not being too forthcoming with a ballpark price which either means it's not worth an awful lot and they are hoping for an over the top offer from me, or it's worth a hell of a lot and they are hoping for an over the top offer from me...

1980 323i (1.6 petrol), metallic green, 64,000km, short-throw 5-speed manual, 4 summer wheels/tyres, 4 winter wheels/tyres, all original parts, paperwork all present and correct.

2dv64w4.jpg

2mw6new.jpg

11t7nn4.jpg

ieqxox.jpg

mc9o5v.jpg

2qwlug5.jpg

2h7j76e.jpg

What's a 323i doing with a 1.6 litre engine?

Like the wheels, although I preferred the all silver versions.

Looks too 'barry'd' for me, can't see it being worth much.

Never, ever lift off an E21 on a fast bend, it will take you forwards, sideways or backwards through the hedge/wall/fence etc.

Last edited:
Looks like someone took a standard car and added the dodgy insignia, boot spoiler and exhausts. Nice furry seat covers, i haven't seen any of those since the 80's.

Airvents, 1.6 engine and black bootlid are not standard. 323 should be with 2.3 litre engine and if I remember correctly with “sport” 5 speed transmision (reverse should be next to the second gear) and exhausts on both sides.

323i with a 1.6 doesn't correlate with BMW's nomenclature of the time, I'm sure of that. The seller has mentioned 146hp and 1.6-litres though. I will be asking more questions.

Replica? :(

Last edited:
thats certainly an acquired taste

The 323i was the top of the pile model (prior to the 325 taking over in the E30).

My neighbour had one around the time I started driving in the early 90s and I remember the exhaust pipes either side.

I think it had a black spoiler but only a lip and certainly didn't come down as far as the badges.

323i badge at the front is correct as are the quad headlights.

On the example in question, those vents look awful and there are some animals somewhere with seat-shaped fur missing!

And as already stated - missing the correct engine.

Replica I would say but not worth jack IMO.

What's a 323i doing with a 1.6 litre engine?

Like the wheels, although I preferred the all silver versions.

Looks too 'barry'd' for me, can't see it being worth much.

A tidy 316, even with those useless modifications, will be worth a considerable sum these days. Production ended some 35 years ago and they are now very much in "classic" territory.

The 1.6 version had a single round light IRC and the 320 and 323 had the twins....I think the front and rear spoiler is an Alpina copy from back in the day, The bonnet vents are halfords as such... as others have said these do command reasonable money these days in the classic world...

Twin exhausts? Nice rug on the back seat .Wonder what's underneath? Picture of the engine compartment would be useful
Here's a nice one.
E21_BMW_316.jpg

Given that the 1.6 of the time would have been on carbs and made about 90hp, the information is confusing at best, deliberately misleading at worst. 143hp correlates to the original 2.3 motor

Indeed, the seller mentioned it's a BMW 323i and 1.6-litre (146hp). That power output corresponds with a 323i so it really does confuse matters.

Twin exhausts and quad lights on a 323i is correct from what research I've done, just a damn shame about the crap bonnet scoops. Low mileage so I expect the seats and engine bay to be in excellent condition, whatever engine is under there. LHD 323i's go for a lot more than their RHD equivalents which is why I'm still hoping it's a 323i and I can get it cheap but nice 316s are still desirable and are fast becoming 'classics'.

I'm out in that area of Lake Geneva for work in the next couple of weeks so I'm still keen to swing by there and have a good look at the car.

Worth having a look if you have nothing better to and you're interested, I guess. A quick look under the bonnet will reveal the truth about the engine.

You will need to physically count the spark plugs but it looks as though it started life as a 323, at least. I notice it has a tacho which I think was only standard on the 6 cylinder models, the 316 had a clock:

BMW 3 Series (E21) - Wikipedia

Cheers,

Gaz

I had one of these YEARS ago. Twin headlights, twin exhausts, tartan like trim, halfords type boot spoiler, although I'm sure it was 4 speed but not 100% sure. It came with a Blaunkpunkt (sp) New Yorker, pioneer fins in the back and amp kit. I'm sure the alloys were a massive 13".

No idea what it's worth especially with a 1.6. Ok'ish to drive all those years ago but I wouldn't even entertain one now.

I suspect the 1.6 is a typo/brain fart, but it would be important to check.
Shame about the bonnet scoops, but they are very 80s! If the rest of the car is correct, they could always be removed and the bonnet repaired. If it's in good nick (check for rust, rust and more rust) it would be worth a bob or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom