Calling DPF Experts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kid-jensen

MB Enthusiast
Car
ML 320 W164
Folks,

The many VIN decoders I have tried don't mention a DPF at all so I assumed I didn't have one...

Looking around the turbo outlet to the exhaust yesterday, I saw the exhaust section bulge by about 20mm Diameter for about 120mm, then go back to a straight pipe again. This was all quite close to the turbo ~50mm away from it.

Does this sound like a DPF? I can't see any sensors attached to it, which makes me think it's not, but what it could be I've no idea.

The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to get rid of the DPF for more power and economy, but I need to make sure I've got one first....

On a V6 I think you have the Cat 1st after the Turbo then the next canister is the DPF it will have a sensor before it and after it, but then again so will the CAT.

Alfie

That will be the CAT immediately nearest the turbo.

A physical DPF cannister needs to remain in place for the MOT if your car had one when it left the factory.

Thanks for the replies,

I'll have a closer look for the DPF....as I can't see it from above, I guess it must be visible from underneath?

If the MOT station is using the same VIN decoders I have used, they won't see a DPF listed on my car. Of course, that doesn't mean it's not fitted. I would rather I found out for sure befors the MOT station does.

I'm assuming the "DPF delete" that you hear about on these forums, involves taking it off, cutting it open and removing whatever is in there, then welding it up again. Followed by some software hacking to ignore the DPF sensors.

That sounds expensive.. I guess you would get some payback in improved economy, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it..

Thanks for the replies,

I'll have a closer look for the DPF....as I can't see it from above, I guess it must be visible from underneath?

If the MOT station is using the same VIN decoders I have used, they won't see a DPF listed on my car. Of course, that doesn't mean it's not fitted. I would rather I found out for sure befors the MOT station does.

I'm assuming the "DPF delete" that you hear about on these forums, involves taking it off, cutting it open and removing whatever is in there, then welding it up again. Followed by some software hacking to ignore the DPF sensors.

That sounds expensive.. I guess you would get some payback in improved economy, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it..

What car? My w211 56 plate v6 320cdi also didn't mention it in vin decoder and it doesn't have one. Easy ways to check are, does it have black soot around inside of exhaust? Yes then no dpf. Also I phoned Mercedes Leicester and they confirmed this.

Thanks for the replies,

I had the above work done on a Citroen, mainly because the DPF was due for replacement and gutting the DPF and remap was at least half the price of a new DPF.
The Citroen also required periodic Eolys fluid topup to aid regen of the DPF.

There was no improvement in economy.

One reason I bought a 270CDi is because there is no DPF on this engine.

On the Citroen the DPF was well hidden under the car, so you would not see it much unless the car was on a ramp.

If you have a DPF it will be marked on the datacard - no need to hunt high and low . . .

My 2006 V6 has no DPF as did say the VIN decoder also...

Also had a remap and the chap said to me nothing about a DPF delete which they also can do!

I too have that bulge in the down pipe so must be the cat. as only just had the "one" only O2 sensor replaced.

.....and yes, my pipes are sooty...Lol

Well,

I've checked a couple of online VIN decoders and no mention of DPF or Option 474.....Woo-Hoo!

One less bit of EU-enforced engine-strangulation rubbish to worry about....

And I've got sooty exhaust ends..

Wouldn't mind getting rid of the cat converters though.

I went under my car the other week, (changed one of the o2 sensors) I couldn't see either a cat or a DPF id assumed they would be under the car (320cdi w209), but are they between the bulkhead and the engine? above the gearbox?

Can anyone recommend an online VIN decoder service?

Is the datacard in with the cars paperwork that the owner gets or is it something else?

Last edited:
Datacard may be stapled to the back of the service book, was on mine..

I had the above work done on a Citroen, mainly because the DPF was due for replacement and gutting the DPF and remap was at least half the price of a new DPF.
The Citroen also required periodic Eolys fluid topup to aid regen of the DPF.

There was no improvement in economy.

One reason I bought a 270CDi is because there is no DPF on this engine.

On the Citroen the DPF was well hidden under the car, so you would not see it much unless the car was on a ramp.
I have just done the same on my wife's Focus, same engine as the Citreon.
I have seen a slight increase in Mpg approx 3mpg but the car drives much smoother now , well worth doing imo.

I always assumed mine had the DPF, but there is no option 474 on my data card.

It has the following, but apparently that isn't DPF.

926 EXHAUST GAS CLEANING WITH EURO 4 TECHNOLOGY

I always assumed mine had the DPF, but there is no option 474 on my data card.

It has the following, but apparently that isn't DPF.

926 EXHAUST GAS CLEANING WITH EURO 4 TECHNOLOGY

Yeah no dpf . Euro 4 is a spec which I think is cats and egr. I would assume a car with the dpf option would have cheap tax also.

Wouldn't mind getting rid of the cat converters though.

Why? Are they giving you a problem so bad that the best solution is to drastically increase the noxious emissions of your car?

Euro 4 is a spec which I think is cats and egr. I would assume a car with the dpf option would have cheap tax also.

Euro 4 doesn't actually mandate catalytic converters: we just don't have a way of achieving it without.

Vehicle excise duty (tax) is based on CO2, which is directly linked to fuel consumption. Cats and DPFs do not affect CO2 (other than slightly worsening it due to increased backpressure in the exhaust system).

Why? Are they giving you a problem so bad that the best solution is to drastically increase the noxious emissions of your car?

Euro 4 doesn't actually mandate catalytic converters: we just don't have a way of achieving it without.

Vehicle excise duty (tax) is based on CO2, which is directly linked to fuel consumption. Cats and DPFs do not affect CO2 (other than slightly worsening it due to increased backpressure in the exhaust system).

So say a newish bmw 3 series diesel( chap at work has one) only pays iirc around £30 a year tax but my e320cdi cost £290 a year is because his drinks less thus lower co2 or does this have bluetech or something which helps?

So say a newish bmw 3 series diesel( chap at work has one) only pays iirc around £30 a year tax but my e320cdi cost £290 a year is because his drinks less thus lower co2 or does this have bluetech or something which helps?

There are loads of 'tweaks' to certain models to reduce the co2, ie elec. p.steering, stop/start, low rolling resistance tyres, aero aids, gearing, lighter windscreens, no spare wheels and the list goes on and on. It isn't just down to the engine/exhaust, although they obviously make a difference.

Whether any of those actually make it a better car is another matter, but it does help the car hit the EU CO2 figures and thus company car tax brackets.

Troon wrote:-

Well, Not really, I'd just like to improve engine efficiency (which reduces CO2 output) at the expense of other emissions.

Seems like a good tradeoff. My car won't last much longer before the failure of some obscure and overpriced electronic module sends it to the scrapyard. I won't be made to feel guilty about a couple of years of extra air pollution when I drive behind hundreds of smoky old lorrys and taxis every day.

That being said, I'm guessing any ripping out the cat internals would involve remapping to cancel various warning lights, so any improvement in engine effeciency would have trouble paying for that.

VED is purely down to CO2. The emissions regulations are mandatory: your Eu4 car cannot be registered as new any more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Excise_Duty
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_emission_standards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom