Calls for 'speed-limiting' cars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Satch, Dec 30, 2008.

1. popuptoaster

popuptoaster Active Member

Car:
    2000 E55 AMG Estate
    I'm never worried by these things, my cars are so old it will be either too expensive or not practical to fit them or to easy to bypass them. :D

2. prprandall51

prprandall51 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi
    What about manual cars? What about the automatics that don't have a kick-down? What about CVT-equipped cars? If the system slows you down - for whatever reason and by whatever mechanism - it has taken control of your car and leaves you possibly vulnerable in situations that the system cannot anticipate or comprehend.

The provision of facts is always welcome. That they are accompanied by the use of bold and the sarcastic roll-eyes is offensive and condescending.

3. MBManInKen

MBManInKen MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes S500 LWB (V220)
    A button, I believe.

:rolleyes: There is another one then :D. I'll bow out of this discussion, as such long toes are rather silly and I have better things to do than to engage in this kind of tittle-tattle. Enjoy the further ranting. :D

4. prprandall51

prprandall51 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi
    As I said, condescending...

5. Ade B

Ade B MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2006 Accord Tourer iCDTI EX
    It boils down to the 'collective interest' vs. individual liberty. I'm not sure to what extent stopping me going over a certain speed constitutes state oppression, my car runs out of steam at 148mph anyway :). Provided it is not retrospectively enforceable, we don't have to buy new cars. Where do you draw the line.

Given the state of driving on most motorways, its pretty clear that most individual's place their interests over others to the detriment of the majority...

On the other hand I have a sneaky suspicion it may be a stealthy method to introduce the infrastructure for various future road pricing and 'security' measures although in theory with ANPR they exist already.

Regarding stressing people out, I think it will have the opposite affect - my most relaxed journeys were in my Series II landrover which topped out at 55 mph. Drive onto motorway, hit its indicated top speed and admire the scenery from the left hand lane. No frustration at other's 'poor' driving holding me up.. nor did I feel persecuted by the state for not being able to pop up the grass embankment to drive past stationary traffic in tailbacks - pesky road laws.

Slightly tangential, I think that motoring had its heyday in the 60's and now there are just too many cars about, myth and reality are poles apart in the UK but it doesn't stop the media pushing them or motorists buying into them.

myth: cars = glamour, freedom and self expression

reality: cars = a relatively recently developed method of moving people about via a defined and increasingly regulated road infrastructure, oh and a source of revenue for various interested parties.

The truth is somewhere between the two.

Ade

6. JasM

JasM MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2014 Range Rover SDV8 Autobiography
    I don't think i'll need it, my car is slow enough anyway. :D

7. masher_uk

masher_uk Active Member

Car:
    C300 Coupe AMG Line Premium Selenite Grey Porcelain Leather
    I saw the report on BBC News 24 this morning. Here’s the link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7803997.stm

They then interviewed a lady ‘in the studio’ who I think must have been Clair Armstrong of ‘Safe Speed’. I must admit that I was expecting her to launch into some patronising ramble about what a great idea it was but instead stunned me by saying exactly the opposite! In fact she said “you've taken the responsibility away from the driver and that is not [good] for road safety." Not only that but apparently official figures show that only 2% of road accidents are attributable to speed, which begs the question “why are the government wasting our time and money with this b*llsh*t!”

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  8. fyonn

fyonn Active Member

Car:
    BMW 330d
    A button would worry me.

in the heat of an impending potential accident, who will remember where the button is?

when you're staring at the nose of an 18 wheeler coming in the opposite direction and you need to be able to accelerate to get back in, who wants to take a hand off the steering wheel to press the button?

if you use the button often enough that you know exactly where it is, even in an emergency, and are confident enough to take your hand off the wheel and press it, then what's the point of the device?

I hate this idea, and I'd like to see a politician take the motorists side for a change.

dave

9. st13phil

st13phil MB Enthusiast

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    If you want to read about how the system works and the trials conducted by Leeds University's Prof. Oliver Carsten on behalf of the DfT, then here is as good a place as any to start.

I will make three predictions about ISA: (1) It will be introduced; (2) It will become mandatory within a relatively short timeframe; (3) It will not deliver even a fraction of the anticipated benefits.

10. Dryce

Dryce MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Technology potentially overlaps with road pricing so if you get one the chances are you'll get the other.

11. Dryce

Dryce MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Just call it a 'turbo boost' and make it big and red. That means half the population will find it.

12. st13phil

st13phil MB Enthusiast

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    Agreed. That's why I'm very confident about my first two predictions ;)

13. Pontoneer

Pontoneer Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '99 S320 W140 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    My TomTom already performs the function of alerting me if I am exceeding a speed limit by a certain margin ( assuming the mapping is up to date ) . This , to me , is sufficient to guard against an unintentional infraction on an unfamiliar road .

For those who choose to deliberately disregard speed limits , it is likely that a way will always be found to circumvent any device . ( A GPS transmitter which will swamp the weak signals from the orbiting satellites and fool your car into thinking you are on an unrestricted Autobahn might be one such ruse ? ) . There are always going to be ways and means .

Unfortunately , those who choose to speed will often be those least capable of driving at high speed and/or those with least reason to do so .

14. tmaoahthfte

tmaoahthfte Active Member

Car:
    W220 320CDI Previously W210 220 CDI, W202 C200T KOMPRESSOR
    Clair Armstrong's late partner was Paul Smith who set up the Safe Speed website which was/is dedicated to bringing a bit of common sense to the speed kills propaganda arguement we are constantly being bombarded with. She's doing a good job under difficult personal circumstances and I for one wish her well. More info here http://www.safespeed.org.uk/

The Motorists Forum is the lobbygroup of The Commision for Integrated Transport according to a friend, they were formerly known as Transport 2000.

15. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    My views have already been expressed for me here.

I think its a ridiculous idea. Why not apply electronic tags to peoples legs so they can't walk faster than others down a high street :rolleyes: or devices in peoples mouthes that stop them consuming too much alcohol and getting into trouble....

The truth is you can't protect and nanny a nation like this. People have to be free to make their own choices (read mistakes) and suffer the consequences (think crash, injury or even death).

It probably will be a piggy back for this spying GPS based road pricing, again a "euro" dream, and I hope they don't get it.

Remember HGV's, buses, Military vehicles aren't owned by those who drive them, and as such the driver of these vehicles should have no say in how the owner monitors and controls the usage of them. Private cars are a bit different, and I do not see why the state should have any aspect of controling how I use the fuel onboard my car.

16. andy_k

andy_k MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Alfa GTV 3.0
    what a bloody stupid comment :D

the moment you get in a car you agree to "play by the rules". You accept the highway code, you have a driving licence, you abide by the laws of the land.

All of which are controls introduced by the state controlling how you use the fuel in your car.

Like all laws you will of course be free to ignore this one (when they finally force it upon us) but I susupect that the penalties for non compliance will be as draconian as they are for no MoT/Insurance etc.

As we've said before owning a car doesn't give you the right to drive it as fast as you want whenever you want to and as long as people are getting caught for breaking speed limits there will be a simple argument by the authorities that every single form of enforcement has been tried so far and has failed so they need to look at a more direct and effective (intrusive) method.

17. jimti

jimti Active Member

Car:
    VW Golf
    take no notice, this kite has been put up to take headlines away from the disgraceful knife crime figures ....:eek:

18. RoseTattoo

RoseTattoo Active Member

Car:
    W204
    That's good - quite a few sensible comments - I particularly like the comment that it is just bad time management if you find that you are late and have to speed.
    There is also the old chestnut that you need a reserve of speed for emergencies. As I heard a police driver say on the radio yesterday, that is nonsense or just plain bad driving in the first place. I cannot think of one instance when I have had to accelerate to get out of trouble. Others I have asked have quoted overtaking situations where they have had to floor it but have admitted that it was in 'take a chance' situations anyway.
    As far as I am concerned it will vastly improve safety, comfort and ease stress levels, bring it on.

19. Brian WH

Brian WH MB Enthusiast

Car:
    JAGUAR XF 3.0D Premium Luxury
    Can you imagine the future motorways.

Inside lane - Lorries doing 56mph and trying to overtake when they catch anyone doing less.

Middle lane - Overtaking lorries and overcautious drivers of other vehicles, plus coaches.60-70mph

Outside lane - Cars ALL doing 70mph one behind the other, mile after mile, till they fall asleep bored to tears.

How do you get off the motorway from the outside lane would be another problem, fighting your way across?:eek:

A row of cars all doing 70mph one behind the other - Used to be called A TRAIN.;)

20. davidjpowell

davidjpowell MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
    If this came in I could see cars accelerating much faster. There would be no point in building 150mph cars - so presumably getting to the speed limiter would become the new focus?