Calls from "Microsoft"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PXW

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model 3 AWD Performance; MG ZS EV
Anyone else getting plagued by these? Had three today, two showing in caller ID as "International" and one showing a number in outer London. All appear to be scams - asking for details of my "Microsoft computer" because they have been alerted to lots of error codes, or have evidence of a suspicious £600 transaction and they want confirmation it was OK (no such transaction, of course), or asking why I have been ignoring all the many messages they have been sending to my computer. Getting more than a little irritated by these nuisance calls - anyone know how to block them (the number is listed on the largely useless TPS already).

I just block the numbers on the phone. Usually takes a couple of attempts as they often use more than one.

Like buses, nothing for ages and then a load at once! Sadly if my landline rings nowadays I know it’s a scam or sales call as friends and family either message me or call my mobile

I've disconnected my landline a long time ago because of nuisance calls like this.
Got a call blocker on the mobile and after checking who called, block the nuisance ones. They only bother you once.
Who called me? | Free Reverse Phone Lookup

I Laugh, tell then I work in IT (which is true) and then put the phone down. Sadly a lady at the school I work at was stung by one of these scams. I sent an All staff e-mail around telling them Microsoft doesn't ring anybody, not even IT people, so if they do it's guaranteed to be a scam.

Cracks me up when you get a chap with a strong Indian accent saying"hello, my name is Dave"

I say to them "Come on on now, let's not start the conversation with a lie"

Then they hang up.

I also like to waste their time when I'm in the mood, I got one person all the way to asking me for my IP address I then asked is it not dangerous to give people your IP address and took a further 2 mins before I said I don't think I should do this and ended the call, small victories :)

I also like to waste their time when I'm in the mood, I got one person all the way to asking me for my IP address I then asked is it not dangerous to give people your IP address and took a further 2 mins before I said I don't think I should do this and ended the call, small victories :)
This is a good thing to do if you have the time to do it, as it wastes their time and it's time they can not use to call up (and scam) someone else :thumb:

Reactions: 219
I had "Charles" call from "Microsoft".

I asked what the weather was like in Mumbai and could he recommended any good places to stay and to eat, he was seemingly glad to chat and not to be told to. "Go away" for a change :D

My IP address? 192.168.0.2

My IP address? 192.168.0.2

That will be your internal IP address issued by a wireless router. It's in the so called private address range. Your external IP address that communicates with your ISP will be quite different. Google "what is my IP address" to find it but don't tell us what it is.

I had one a couple of weeks ago. I tried 3 times to tell him I don't care if I have a virus and it will get shut down but he was adamant to 'help' me. So I asked which computer I had (seeing as he seemed to know how vulnerable it was) and I kept getting generic answers like 'windows computer' and Google. I laughed and decided to go along with it, spending at least 15 minutes giving false information on my 'Google computer with Windows'. I think he actually thought he was getting somewhere until I got bored and told him to block my computer if he wishes and that I was happy that it was being invaded by so many viruses. He finally gave up.

Reactions: 219
I string them along for as long as I can. I often ask them to email me with details of the serial numbers of the particular software I have registered with them. Normally I use the email address '[email protected]'

Good YouTube videos (hopefully genuine) where some smart IT guy takes the scammers call and as soon as their computers connect, the scammers PC & network gets taken over and trashed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom