Cam Oiler tubes M119 Engine R129 SL500

Discussion in 'Engine' started by IMD, Mar 4, 2015.

1. IMD

IMD Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1997 SL500
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has ever replaced the plastic cam oiler tubes on a M119 engine? My engine is starting to tick and the oil pressure drops at high temperatures, sometimes down to zero and I think it might be this problem.

I have basic mechanical knowledge, lots of patience and a willingness to get stuck in. My question would be - is it something that I could do myself? If so, what are the steps? Does any one have an online resource?

I may get it checked by John Haynes Mercedes in Worthing, but if I can do it myself and save money, even better. I appreciate that the new tubes will cost a bit and I'm happy to replace with plastic ones, as I'm sure they will last another 20 odd years!

Any help would be great

Thanks

Ian

2. bing

bing Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W124.036 E500 (Sold) W140 S600L (Sold) W163 ML270 CDI 2004 (SOLD)W208 CLK55
    I would try to replace them with metal ones which were fitted on early m119s , pre 93. , but you'll need to find used ones . Plastic ones tend to break free and pop out.

[​IMG]

Read through here on "how to " write up :

You'll have go register though to see the nice photos

HOW-TO: Replacing M119 camshaft oiler tubes

Few guys here sometimes sell metal ones, cleaned with new O rings . Try them .

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Mercland

Mercland Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    I replaced mine, no dramas really.. I just went for plastic, figured they lasted this long....

1 person likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    IMD

IMD Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1997 SL500
    Thanks guys. If I were to get it done at a garage, any idea of a ball park figure for the work. Anyone want to quote me ;-)