Cambelt change on c220 cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GMInsite

Car
Mercedes-Benz W203 C220CDI Avantgarde
Hi i have just looked through my service history and can not see that the cambelt has been done.

The car is a 2005 (54) c220 cdi. What are the imtervals for cambelt replacement and whats the cost roughly going to be?

Greg

Greg

Hi i have just looked through my service history and can not see that the cambelt has been done.

The car is a 2005 (54) c220 cdi. What are the imtervals for cambelt replacement and whats the cost roughly going to be?

Greg

Greg

Is this an April fools thing?

Get your cambelt replaced ASAP!

No its not a april fools. Just picked the car up friday. Its going into the garage i bought it from wednesday for an inspection so ill mention it. What is the intervals?

Seeing as it is after midday and April fools day is over i will set you straight.

Your car does not have a cam belt, it has a chain which should last the life of the car.

Thankyou for clarifying was really starting to worry when i saw no mention of it in my full mb service history.

You do not have to worry about a camshaft belt on the 220Cdi. You have to worry about the injectors instead:D

Uhoh sounds worse now

You sure about the no cambelt?

Whats this? Is it just the auxiliary

image-573758592.jpg

belt for the air con and alternator as runs off the crankshaft pulley?

Its started cracking how much is this to replace and should i tackle it myself? Im a plant engineer by trade.

Definatly no cambelt, that us your auxiliary drive belt.
Should cost no more than £20 for a new belt + fitting

You sure about the no cambelt?

Whats this? Is it just the auxiliary

View attachment 35545

belt for the air con and alternator as runs off the crankshaft pulley?

Its started cracking how much is this to replace and should i tackle it myself? Im a plant engineer by trade.

Belt manufacturers will tell you that cracks across the ribs are normal unless you get three cracks or more across the width in three inch sections.

Change if it has become contaminated with oil or diesel.
Change if the ribs have longitudinal cracks or the edges are fraying.
Change if the belt has become floppy and the tensioner is good.

I have found that motor factor belts get floppy very quickly while the main dealer belts give much better service.
Do not forget to draw out the route of the belt before you remove it, otherwise you may be :confused:

BTW you should not have a problem fitting it once you hold the tensioner against the spring with a ratchet and appropriate socket in the "orifice" under the tensioner

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom