Cambridge forumites - parking suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manalishi

Am visiting Cambridge this weekend, and wondering where the easiest long-term car parking is to be found?

I used to live there (near the Cam) and parked on-road, but from today's news reports, car parking in Cambridge is now a nightmare.

So, any ideas on where to head (preferably avoiding the congestion I'll hit if I try to get to/through the city centre)? I'll be coming in from the East (A14).

What time are you staying till? if its before 7pm, use the Park & Ride, (not Sunday)

If you dont mind a mile walk, park on one of the side roads around Milton Road, always spaces - check for resident parking bays though.

Avoid like the plague the main city centre GrandArcade carpark in the dead centre (used to be called Lion Yard) Even as I type this, I can see from my office window the quene for it is round the block on a Friday afternoon

If its Sunday, free onstreet parking on Regent Street (next to Parkers Piece). If your prepared to drive up and down the street for 10mins or so a space always appears. - you have to be fast though!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. :)

The Grafton centre must've popped up since I left (er... c.20 years ago!). Parking seems to be free until 5pm, which is nice - http://www.graftoncentre.co.uk/centre_information.htm

Not sure how long we'll be there - depends on the weather and if we feel like dining out. So that Park and Ride tip could be useful. Seems the relevant site is convenient at Newmarket Road just after the A14, and it's just £2.20 each.

Milton Road area is a maybe. Plan C.

Grafton area used to be called the Kite - its been there for around 25 years tho!

Grafton will be a knightmare aswell too, the entrance is down east road which is hell for traffic.

Id stick with Park & Ride, even if you decide to stay longer, get the bus back to the car and then park in town in the evening - its easy in the evening as the traffic will have died down :)

I was part of the Save the Kite demo/march.....which was a protest against this new shopping centre thingy......lots of small streets got flatten to build it.

We first lived in Storeys Way, then moved to Pretoria Road, then up market...to Defreville Avenue - from 1972-1985, all mainly around the Cam / near the Fort St George Pub....Loved my time there as a kid.

OK Park & Ride it is. Was the Grafton thing really there in '88ish? Blimey - how did I miss that?! Lived in Beche Road for my first job after Uni. (thinks)... Reckon I've still got a bike padlocked to the racks at the train station... :)

I grew up on a house facing Parkers Piece - Park Terrace, amazing location as a kid!

I can remember going to Zodiac (toys shop) in the grafton around 85-86 and it had been there a couple of years already :)

Park & ride is the way to go :)

Well, we had a great time. P&R worked just fine; we took the bus to the Grafton Centre (bit pikey!) and then ambled into the town proper.

Perfect day-trip - aside from not finding the crepe stall for the garlic mushroom crepe I was so nostalgic for :(

Thanks chaps - hope your weekends went well, too ;)

Perfect day-trip - aside from not finding the crepe stall for the garlic mushroom crepe I was so nostalgic for

That was my brothers business!, I worked it as a 2nd job for 3 years! - im a Crepe Ninja :)

He sold it and the new owner didnt look after it so its now shut. :(

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom