Camcorder questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ade B

MB Enthusiast
Car
2006 Accord Tourer iCDTI EX
Our first baby is due in a couple of weeks and having acquired (hopefully) all the essentials, I'm now looking at other none essential bits and bobs..

Anyone any thoughts on camcorders - not too fussed about price (it seems most are under £1k for none pro kit), would prefer something that fits in a pocket so its to hand when you want it rather than super dooper performance...

But the nagging thought is there, do I then spend the next three years looking through a 3" LCD screen compiling hours and hours of shaky footage which never gets watched let alone edited... is it something that gets left in a drawer or will I regret not getting one?

Advice appreciated.
Ade

Not my line, but you can copy and print out any one frame, and thats quite handy when taking pictures of baby at his/hers best

Buy a Sony hard drive digital camcorder. :rock:

You can edit them on your computer with the right software, ie Adobe premier 6.0 or later. Transfer them to a DVD and bore your relatives and friends rigid.:D :D

Seriously you will regret it if you don't mate.

Something like this.

Sony Camcorder

Last edited:
I've got a Sony mini DV (tape) camcorder, has Firewire so transfers straight to the PC for editing in pretty much anything (I still use Windows Movie Maker).

I wouldn't spend anywhere near £1k unless you're really into videography.

A few hundred quid would get you something more than good enough for home use these days, and £500 should get you a flash looking thing with lots of bells and whistles.

I know next to nothing about them other than:

(1) I've had two in the last 16 years - both Sony (but only really ever buy Sony electronics.

(2) We don't use it as often as we should.

(3) We never find the time to edit and transfer to DVD.

(4) It's great for special occasions, and wouldn't be without it!!

I have a Panasonic NVGS250 Mini DV. The 3CCDs make colours superb and as BTB500 says easy to download to PC with a firewire. Avoid DVD cameras as they are not best for editing. Hard drive cameras are also difficult to edit from on certain systems. Something like this:

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/539413/art/panasonic/nv-gs320ef-s-minidv-camco.html

I am studying movie editing on Final Cut Pro, let me know if you would like me to edit your movie for you (good practice for me).

cheers for the replies..

think I might have a look at a selection next time I'm in town. small is good..

my dad seems to spend every event in recent memory tinkering with his video camera (usually because the battery is about to go flat...) and the amusing thing is if you ask him about the day he usually can't remember much about it as he spent most of the time trying to film it :rolleyes:

I suppose a few hundred quid is small beer to record once in a lifetime special occasions - although still cameras do a pretty good job too..

Ade (slowly becoming his dad...:eek:)

ive got a DV camcorder/camera (about £100 last year) which is pocket size but i wouldnt want to use it all the time because the quality isnt as good as a digital camcorder - hence buying a dvd camcorder as this is my babys first christmas too! i didnt get it from Argos altho they do sell it.... its only a cheapy (think i paid £270ish) as far as dvd ones go but its fine for what i want it for.
then use windows movie maker to play around/cut bits out etc :)

I have a Panasonic 150r i somthing DVD and camera (SD card) all in one ......it works very well and I edit on the pc ...it takes excellent DVD's and excellent pictures ....and yes its in the bureau most of the time but dose come in handy like son no 2 .....his second birthday today ....more footage to embarrass him ...at his wedding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom