Camcorder+speed display

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

turboGT

Car
Mercedes only!
Hi everyone,

I am looking for car camcorder with speed display.

Can anyone recommend me one?

It is quite expensive but looks good!

I am trying to get a cheaper one. Really difficult to find though.

Search the forum for 'Dashcam' as the topic has come up before.

I tied a few off ebay and as most from far east.. all had glitches... had iPhone 4 sitting in the drawer and downloaded the 'carcorder' app... fantastic !!! has speed and various other features not found on the dedicated standalone units.... I purchased the full app afterwards and got to say very happy with it

Can i ask why you need a speed reading?

I ask as if there were an accident your footage would cooberate your speed quite easily by simply calculating time and distance.

The issue I'd have with an iPhone is it is a high value item that one couldnt leave in a car for fear of theft plus it doesnt auto start and stop...both of which are critical dashcam requirements in my eyes.

Last edited:
Can i ask why you need a speed reading?

I ask as if there were an accident your footage would cooberate your speed quite easily by simply calculating time and distance.

Not for crashes, me thinks.... it looks much better with the speed display when you post it on YouTube... ;)

I tied a few off ebay and as most from far east.. all had glitches... had iPhone 4 sitting in the drawer and downloaded the 'carcorder' app... fantastic !!! has speed and various other features not found on the dedicated standalone units.... I purchased the full app afterwards and got to say very happy with it

Kalvin

Thank you. I have tried Carcorder today and so far am impressed. How did you manage to mount your phone? I have a windscreen mount which is less than ideal. Curious to know what you did?

Many Thanks

Bruce

Before I had my Mini 0801 I used the Witness Driving app on my iPhone 4s. This was capable of some very high-quality video, but did have the downside of needing to be plugged in due to high battery drain (bodged a USB charging socket using Apple's "standards" into the overhead console) and had the risk of leaving a very expensive phone in the car on show and preventing in-car use as a phone.

I bought a generic mount from Currys, but found it wobbled too much. I cut most of the length of the arm off and Aralditing it back together, losing one of the axes of movement in the process but making it much more rigid and mounting the phone closer to the windscreen. This is important as I found the iPhone has a habit of trying to focus on the screen, particularly if there's any dirt or rain on it.

Ultimately, the mount broke, the iPhone rattled (the camera module on the 4s has a free element that rattles on some phones) and the inconvenience of installing and... exstalling? every day led me to get the 0801 instead. It's possible to overlay the speed on the video, but it's not visible to the user whilst going along (small text on a 1½″ screen!).

brucemillar said:
Kalvin

Thank you. I have tried Carcorder today and so far am impressed. How did you manage to mount your phone? I have a windscreen mount which is less than ideal. Curious to know what you did?

Many Thanks

Bruce

Pm sent

Sent from my Mobile Device using MBClub UK

Kalvin

Many Thanks

Bruce

Bruce
my mount was a bit of a mashup... it is a suction cup but very stumpy (came with my original dedicated car cam (binned!!) and then 'attached a standard phone mount to this. I gather the shorter the stem is, the less bounce... In the Mercedes its fine and even in my battered Skoda, its very good, I don't get any bounce. Ideally I had it quite high on the widescreen on drivers side but then had problems tracing power cord up there... I now have it lower just above dash on both cars and positioned to record centrally.... I will try to upload a pic... but car is getting detailed at the moment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom