Camera Addiction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Meldrew2

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mine: BMW X4 2.0d M-Sport (Red) Hers: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport (Black) Sorry about that...
Oh Dear. I think that I'm starting to collect cameras.

After a very rainy day in Alaska, my Nikon D40 decided that it preferred life as a doorstop or paperweight instead of the more traditional life taking photographs.

I found a used Nikon 1 with 10-30 zoom on the Bay Of Addictions. All seemed good. Then I got a hankering for a 30-110 zoom. After perusing the same dangerous waters, I found a used one at a good price. However, with such a tiny camera, changing lens is a bit fiddly, and I was worried about damaging the image sensor. Fortunately, someone else was selling a second-hand camera body, again at a good price.

Well, having two cameras isn't too ridiculous, is it. Not really. Then I went on holiday. And forgot to pack the camera...

So - guess what I bought at Heathrow duty free? :doh::doh::doh:

You're not alone! I still have the Canon FTb I bought in 1973 with my first proper pay cheque, along with 2 zoom and 2 single length lenses, a Canon A1, a Minolta SLR that takes 124 cartridge film (bought for my parents), a waterproof cartridge camera I bought for beach use, then there's the digitals - Canon Powershot A640, Powershot SX20IS and Nikon Coolpix S6500 pocket camera - and I forgot, a Sony digital camcorder that cost almost £1k about 15-18 years ago but has not been used for 6 years as the video on the SX20 is as good!

There's little or no market for the film cameras or lenses, so there's no point trying to sell them, and each has memories attached to it.

I have stored away at home:
my father's kodak pin-hole camera circa 1913 I think
a Brownie Box camera circa 1953
a Fuji SLR camera circa 1970s
a Minolta 7000 camera circa 1980s
a Sea and Sea Motor Marine under-water camera circa 2000
a Canon Sure-shot circa 2014
a Sony camera phone.

I use the phone's camera more than I have used all the others put together.

Last edited:
Minolta X700
Minolta X7A
Minolta X370
Minolata Dynax 5000 plus a bunch of AF lenses
Olympus OM-1 (bought new by my mother when she was doing a Phd and needed something to connect to a microscope, used once or twice and came with a fresh roll of film that expired in 1986).
Minolta OM-2
Minolta OM-4
Sony Alpha a500 DSLR
Cannon 10mp digital point and shoot (the only one I could find with a viewfinder)

Sony A900 + Carl Zeiss 50 prime. Bought new in 2009. Not a collector so if I ever upgrade it will be to a Leica M.

I had a sizeable 35mm SLR system (plus a couple of compacts) but sold the lot for decent money when I went digital in 2005. I still have a few 'keepsakes' including my grandfather's Kodak that he used during WW1.

I made a conscious decision then to limit my camera gear to an SLR with two lenses plus a good quality compact, and I've stuck to that so far ... just replacing the compact a couple of times. The old ones I've given away or (reluctantly) binned - they have no value.

Once you buy that first lens with decent glass you are on a slippery slope.
I remember my first pro 50mm canon lens. Linked to the 5DMkii, it was magnificent...

Owned more than 50 cameras after being bitten by the (Nikon F Photomic) bug in 1975.

Sold the last in November after realising my Iphone is always willing and able.

But the joy of photography is stronger than ever

99% of my pictures are taken with a large sensor compact these days (Sony RX100 II at the moment). I also have a Ricoh GR specifically for aerial photography

In the old days ('80s) I used an OM-1n with a 24 or 28 mm lens and a winder. 36 shots on a flight and you weren't sure what you'd got till the film was developed!

The OM-1n was probably my favourite ever 35mm camera - a real joy to use.

Before that I used a Russian camera called a Lomo 135 BC which had a clockwork motor drive! It weighed a ton and only took 8 shots before needing to be wound up again (actually mine gave 9!), but the image quality was great.

I still have two DSLRs but they don't get taken out much unless I need a specific lens or other feature.

These days I carry a travel kit of 5 cameras and a small carbon fibre tripod. Three Sigma compacts with fixed lenses, a Panasonic GM1 micro 4/3 mirrorless with a set of three lenses to deal with situations the Sigmas can't handle, and a Fuji XP70 compact that is weather proof that can be used when the others can't be risked.

The three Sigmas fit in the same size of bag that one of the DSLRs would take up with two lenses - and are lighter. The GM1 with three lenses fits in a pouch that is smaller than one of the Sigmas would take up.

The Fuji XP is an awful thing compared with the other four when it comes to image quality - but it comes into its own in wet and dusty environments - and you can hand it to kids to use without worrying about the lens coating getting marked or it being dropped.

You can still use many of the older 35mm lenses with DSLR bodies. I still use one of my old Nikon zoom lenses and it works very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom