Camera Detectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benjy

Car
Audi R8 V10 5.2
Not saying that I am going to speed but always a handy little device when purchasing a C63. The missus is looking to buy me a Xmas pressie and I thought one of these might suffice.

Any advice on the best on the market at the moment, price and functions... I am looking for one that can pick up mobile cameras or hand held ones, as well as the fixed cameras.:thumb:

Road Angel and snooper do good ranges, you'll find something for your needs.

And I quire understand your need for it.

However, it doesn't guard against the menace that is the unmarked car, and laser gun. You need to get a garage opener to Jam the laser signals, but you'll never beat the unmarked cars.

Thanks mate, yes the snooper and Road Angel are what I was looking at but not sure what the difference is between the two other than £100.

My need is I am getting my C63 in a few months...need I say more!

Don't get the garage opener unless you have a garage. They have been known to check. Best is the parking sensor. Can't remember the name now but of course if your car has factory sensors it may take some explaining why u have two systems.
Laser pro park.

Last edited:
Snooper Lynx has to be the choice. Apart from being cheaper to buy, the running costs are also lower. I want to prefer the Road Angel Professional Connected (the model most closely comparable) but, whichever way I look at it, the Snooper comes out on top. Road Angel owners have also been experiencing some issues with the 'over the air' location updates; at least when I was researching a couple of months back.

Also, the fact it is so much cheaper probably means there are more on the roads and since the accuracy of the database relies on users reporting new and temporary camera sites, the Snooper is likely more accurate more of the time.

Both are as good as each other. I had a road angel II and it never missed a camera/site.

Got done when I left it at home....

Have a read of this Speed Camera Detector Reviews

Thanks I just had a read and the road angel 2 looks the best option....That also has laser detection as well but at £399 I would hope so to.

That Snooper Lynx dont look too bad at all and costs a lot less than the road angel but does the same job...So do you recommend this one?

Yes and buy a garage opener too ;)

I have an electric garage door but it only works about 100 yds away to open and close it so I dont think that would be any good... LOL

Ok so the snooper Lynx it is.....nice work Steve

Valentine One plus Blinders fitted should protect from most unwanted attention.

V1 is unparalleled in performance but no detector can protect from laser in time so you need to consider a more robust solution which a blinder can produce.

As said previously watch out for unmarked cars...

Alright, I didn't realise we were talking big league. Valentine 1 is not only probably the best but it is possible to integrate it into the car so the display inside the speedo becomes the detector's display or warning come up in the rear view mirror. Looks like it could work out pricey but the committed speeder should accept no substitute. The following vids are from America, as usual, but anything they can do . . . . .

It's also a true detector (and therefore needs to be discrete) rather than a locator like the the Snooper and Road Angel, which rely on someone having previously reported a van or hand-held camera, for example. Check these out:

YouTube - 2009 Mercedes Benz C63 Custom Valentine One radar detector

YouTube - 2008 C350 Valentine One Cluster Display

YouTube - Valentine One Interface for 2009 Mercedes E Class

i have the "road angel connected", its good, updates automatically via an inbuilt sim also.

As mentioned, a laser detector is surely pointless - it will only go off when they are already painting you (too late). RADAR has a lot more 'splash' so detectors make more sense there, but apart from Gatsos it's not really used any more AFAIK.

Detectors are illegal in some European countries (even if switched off), so a 'built-in' solution may not be a good idea if you ever go abroad.

SPECS is getting more and more common, and nothing other than a GPS warning will help you there.

Detectors are illegal in some European countries (even if switched off),

Certainly true of France, I had a V1 confiscated (loss of approx £500) plus was fined €1,500 :eek: (€750 for owning the V1, €750 for using it). Had to pay in cash, no cards were accepted (I understand officer ;) enjoy spending my money).

The aggravating aspect was that the car was parked up at a rest stop when they saw the V1, so wasn't even stopped for a driving issue...

All you need is a gps camera detector with reliable database (therefore don't use snooper or anything else that uses the Aura or Cyclops databases) + A Laser activated parking device such as laser park pro and then you are protected against everything other than as *** points out unmarked cars.

By the time you get a laser hit its too late you have been caught so no point in a warning, The new inforad products arent bad and use the PGPSW database so never miss a camera or mobile site. The K1 as mentioned by *** is good for a single country but it cannot hold the full database of the UK and splits the down loads into North and South so if you travel the country end to end such as me then its not very good, however I have the French and benelux database on there and it works well and is only the size of a usb stick so virtually undetectable depending upon position. V4 is good and effective and Cheap.

If you want something more graphical and that speaks to you then the Pogo Alert is the best there is for a gps device although RoadAngel is a good second detects just as well but the interface lets it down IMHO.

As mentioned before if you want an all rounder then the Valentine One is unbeatable but expensive.

Personally I don't leave it to chance all my cars run Inforad V4 devices as the main GPS camera warning system + Laser Pro Park LINKY The only way then of getting caught is by unmarked car and if I miss one of those then it's my own stupidity>

Just my 2p worth but though I'd share what works for me :)

I've got the old syle road angel plus and have always found it very good for reminding you where fixed sites are and where mobiles have been spotted too.
Only problem I have now tho is that it doesn't work in my W215 as I'm assuming the windscreen has some kind of coating that blocks the GPS signal? Very frustrating so I'd recommend that whatever solution you decide on, you check that it works in your car before parting with any hard earned cash.

I remember seeing something that reported offering protection from laser guns as well... it would jam the laser for a few seconds allowing you to slow down.

That way, the policeman would retry firing the gun, and find that you are under the limit...

Fairly sure it isn't legal though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom