Camera Flash Gun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

I am thinking of buying a flash gun, as I take a lots of photos indoors at parties and weddings etc.

I have a Canon 400d SLR, what should I look for in choosing a flash gun?

Thanks

Tan

Get one with a tiltable head and buy a diffuser as well, so you can bounce the flash off the ceiling. It make a huge improvement to indoor pictures.

Ideally you want one that talks to the camera (I think in Canon land it's called e-ttl). Set it to Auto and off you go.

I have a Nikon D70s and bought a used Nikon SB600. It was more pricey than third party flashes but I feel it was worth it for the compatibility and the two way communication between camera and flash. If you don't want to go down the Canon route, Nissin are held in high regard. If you want to browse the used market, MPB Photographic are extremely good. I am a very satisfied repeat customer and would not hesitate to recommend them.

Unless you know 100% that you will not change from a Canon body, get a Nissin or Sunpack. If you do change, the gun goes with you.

If you buy a 'Canon-specific' third party flash, you still have the problem of it only working on a Canon.

Generic 'fits antything' flashes have two contacts on the hotshoe connector, and do not communicate with the camera. You need to make some settings and adjustments to the flash and/or camera to get the desired exposure. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it needs to be done.

A dedicated flash, either own brand or third party, will have more contacts on the hotshoe. These are for two-way communication between camera and flash. The first thing to happen is the camera will know it has a clever flash fitted. When the flash is in 'intelligent' mode (Nikon-speak, there is a Canon equivalent) it seamlessly integrates with the camera and does an impressively good job of getting it right.

Might I suggest signing up on the Talk Photography forum? It's free, very friendly and full of excellent advice. Post your question in the Talk Basics section and you'll get much better answers than I can give. After all, I'm only a Nikonite ;)

Always get the most powerful (Guide Number) gun you can afford.

Never heard anyone say their flash gun was too powerful!

I am looking at Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flashgun and 230 EX.

For an amateur photographer is the 430 worth the extra money.

Tan

My only bugbear with flash guns is the cheaper ones seem to take a while to recharge before each flash and guzzle through batteries in record time.

I take it the better examples dont have this problem?

[edit] wifey bought me a Jessops branded flash for my EOS450. It communicates properly with Cannons E-TTL correctly and everything and does take good shots considering one is using a flash but... the battery thing does bug me.

Last edited:
Might be worthwhile getting a flash unit that has remote ability. It means that you can place the flash off to the side, down low or anywhere within range and the flash will fire when you release the shutter.

Any reasonably powerful flash will go through batteries. For quicker recycling use NiMh rechargeables, Sanyo Eneloops are the battery of choice of many snappers. They have good capacity, stay charged for ages (months) when not in use and allow quick recycling of the flashgun.

My only bugbear with flash guns is the cheaper ones seem to take a while to recharge before each flash and guzzle through batteries in record time.

I take it the better examples dont have this problem?

My experience is that with modern flash units it depends on the battery type and the level to which the flash is recharging eg. If the flash has not fired at full power it will recharge more quickly because it still has some charge left in its capacitor.

NiMH (rechargable) and Lithium batteries typically recharge the flash unit more quickly - NiMH operate a slightly reduced voltage compared with alkaline AAs but they can deliver more current.

Also number of batteries has an impact - eg. 4 vs 2.

[edit: I note after posting Stratman has already addressed the NiMH battery option]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom