Cameras - What's your poision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Clearly not. Nice shots!
Lovely, very moody Tiguan shot.
It was taken on a lava flow dating back to 1860. The view in the background is the afternoon rain (normally 2-3") rolling down the side of the volcano. It's about 3 miles from the highway to the ocean, we were only about 1/4 mile down the track and it was challenging even with a all wheels drive.

The first photo was taken at about 14,000 ft at the summit of Mauna Kea. It was about -10c up there and even shivering made you light headed!

My all-time favourite was Mamiya Press 23 Pro ... had a full compliment of lenses and probably all the available accessories - fantastic camera, never missed a beat in over a decade - from Arctic Circle to Equator ... Wish I still had it.

Haha.......sold my last two lenses about a month ago on the dreaded bay, been in the cupboard virtually new for the past 10 or 15 years!

Some of the Nikons.............
tabletop.jpg

And one of the lenses I used every so often, not a Nikkor I hasten to add ;)
DSC_1216.jpg

The problem was not carrying them around, it was finding them in the case! :D

And a different kind of camera............
DSC_2964.jpg

DSC_2965.jpg

Lumix G1 which manages to make a very average photographer reasonably acceptable.

Love the picture of the Olympus. Wasn't there also an OM1 and OM2?

There were indeed OM1&2 also an OM20. The OM1N was the best of the lot.

Limitations? Aww come on. Look at the specs:

What more could you want from that type of camera? Most cameras would have given up and gone home whilst this one is just getting into its stride. ;)

It does all I need it to do although I recognise there are better spec point and shoot cameras on the market than the Fuji XP70. For £160 I paid brand new I'm happy enough.

It does all I need it to do although I recognise there are better spec point and shoot cameras on the market than the Fuji XP70. For £160 I paid brand new I'm happy enough.

The XP70 does make a lot of sense and is relatively cheap for an immersible droppable dust proof camera.

And that also makes it sensible to carry for those who might otherwise use their phone cameras but for the risk to the phone in wet or dirty conditions.

And the lens is protected and it's easy to clean the outer glass without damaging it.

There's also a wide angle adapter for it (though the price is a bit silly compared with the camera).

I had an OM1n as well, the first decent 35mm I owned, smashing camera used it until I went digital with the Canon 350D

I loved my OM-1n ... a beautiful camera. Survived multiple sorties inside a large r/c plane too :)

This is the Lomo BC in a custom-made external pod

IIRC the clockwork motordrive gave 7 or 8 shots on a flight!

I'm currently in the process of selling most of my studio equipment, should anyone be interested. I'very got a load of Elinchrom lighting, Profoto brollies, Lastolite backgrounds, etc... Drop me a PM for further info.

Is that flash lighting Chris, or continuous? Seems a shame to sell it either way.

I have somewhere in the region of 20 old Nikon 35mm cameras, including a couple of Fs, an F2, Nikkormats, Nikomats, FMs, FGs etc, and about 10 dslrs, D100s, D200s and a D300.

For my pocket, I have a Canon G7X and the camera in my Sony Xperia Z5 is pretty good for a phone.

We were talking about first dates the other day, and when I met my mrs 31 years ago, I was skint, so I sold a lovely Pentax Spotmatic F outfit , complete with a 17mm Pentax fisheye lens, to pave the way for an impressionable few dates!

Now you're just boasting. ;)

Talking of first dates, I never sold any gear to pay for a date, but when I moved back from HK in the mid 80s I sold two entire flight case loads of gear to the London Camera Exchange (unseen - trusting back then) and spent the whole lot on a JLAser card. anybody remember what that was? (without asking Mr Wiki)

Bodies:
Nikon D4s, D810, D7200, D300 and D3200

Lenses:
Sigma 150-600 Sport lens
Nikon 300mm f2.8
Nikon 70-300 VR
Sigma 105mm Macro
Tamron 19-35mm

Main reason I bought my ML was to allow me to get back into the hills round the Highlands in Feb when there is snow on the ground so I can get out to photograph wildlife, oh and to have some comfort on the 1000 mile round trip to take the photos. Boot is always full of camera gear, bean bags, tripods and stuff no matter where I am, even while I'm at work as I never know when I'll see something I want to capture.

And photos you'd care to share? Love to see them.

I started out with an Ilford Sportsman , handed down from my dad , then replaced it with a Zeiss Contina ( both 35mm rangefinders ) while still at school :thumb:.

For other accessories , I have numerous Manfrotto video and still tripods , several Metz flashes ( started out with an old Mecablitz 500 with the first Rollei , and currently have , from memory , three 45's , two 54's , and a 70 ) , a Pentax ring flash for macro work , as well as some nice Elinchrom studio flash lights .

Some great kit there Pontoneer. Peli in the loft? :dk:

I've got quite a few Manfrotto items and have recently starting to invest in their HD magic arms - best part of £100 each, but very strong and stable. We use them for our FS7s and C300s (plus occasionally our audio gear).

Latest camera is a Canon 7D, decided I didn't want to upgrade to the Mk2, still have my old 350D as backup, mostly use a Canon 15-85 as a walkabout lens, with a Sigma 120-300 f2.8 with 1.4 and 2X multipliers for the bird stuff, also have a Tokina 90mm macro lens for the little things :D

I went through the whole Mk 2 7D thing and apart from the AF performance and FPS, didn't see the point in upgrading. The video isn't much of an advance either and all in all probably not a match for the Samsung NX1 - but of course for you and I, that would mean changing system.

I mostly use large sensor compacts now ... currently a Sony R100 II (1" sensor) and a Ricoh GR (APS-C) . I also have an old Canon 20D SLR (APS-C), which I use with a 70-200 f/4L when I need a bit more reach. The compacts give better image quality with shorter lenses.

My first camera (in the mid-60s) was a Russian Cosmic 35 which I still have somewhere, along with a Lomo BC (with clockwork motordrive!) - my first dedicated aerial photography camera.

My favourite 35mm camera was probably my black Olympus OM-1n which was part of a fairly comprehensive system with an OM-2sp for TTL flash and an XA rangefinder compact. Bags of lenses/grips/flashes/cables/filters/etc.

My digital compacts get handed down to the kids eventually as they have little value secondhand. Biggest disappointment was a Canon G9, which is the only camera I've ever had that actually died (image processor failed - beyond economic repair).

I love your RC photos, just a hobby or in the business?

I've been meaning to respond to your comment in Grober's Korea War Film thread btw. Interesting stuff.

My all-time favourite was Mamiya Press 23 Pro ... had a full compliment of lenses and probably all the available accessories - fantastic camera, never missed a beat in over a decade - from Arctic Circle to Equator ... Wish I still had it.

Seems like we may have something in common.

Russian Zenits used to work well in extremes - a bit like a Kalashnikov, high tolerance engineering and very reliable because of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the Nikons.............

And one of the lenses I used every so often, not a Nikkor I hasten to add ;)
DSC_1216.jpg

The problem was not carrying them around, it was finding them in the case! :D

Great collection. What's the tiny lens for? Or is that a big watch?

I still have my Hasselblad 500cm. 80mm and 150mm lenses. And a Weston Master V. But I remember borrowing an old MPP micropress 1/4 plate. You will have seen one on the old "David Bailey, who's he?" Advert for the Olympus trip. Most under rated camera IMO? Canon QL19. 35mm rangefinder, lightweight, compact, and sync flash up to 1/500 sec.

Is that flash lighting Chris, or continuous? Seems a shame to sell it either way.

Flash - some runs from a big power pack and some is what's called monobloc (power and flash all in the one unit). I think, at the last count, I've got 10 studio flash units - more than I need now.

Here's a couple,

Osprey was taken in mid June this year, just before 4am and it was a chilling -3 :(

Osprey with a fish, 4am mid June 2015 and its -3 Celsius by Gary Funnell, on Flickr

Female barn owl, taken seconds before it landed within a foot of me and sat preening for over 5 mins, I was scared to breathe as I didn't want it to fly away, so beautiful

Female Barn Owl with the sun behind it by Gary Funnell, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom