Cameras - What's your poision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted96908

I thought it might be interesting to see what cameras folks have.

I've got a couple - (plus 5 or so relics hoarded in cupboards)

Canon 7D with 85mm 1.2 L and EFS 17-55mm. Bought this in 2009 to replace a 1DS MKIII. Very good video with decent image quality.

And a Fujifilm X100T (2015) with the TCL-X100 teleconverter - shown below. A really nice compact with brilliant colour (see eggs by Ms Patagonian) and an excellent EVF. Around £1500 with converter, external flash, strap and filters.

Anybody else want to share?

Chris

Yes, I sold my Nikon D3X and Hasselblad system when I retired 3 years ago.......now just a small Leica and a new D7200 which I have not got out of the box yet (I thought I would need a DSLR but not been bothered to use it yet).

Oh Yes, and a collection of vintage Nikons........just because they look pretty and were real workhorses in their day.

Yes, I sold my Nikon D3X and Hasselblad system when I retired 3 years ago.......now just a small Leica and a new D7200 which I have not got out of the box yet (I thought I would need a DSLR but not been bothered to use it yet).

Oh Yes, and a collection of vintage Nikons........just because they look pretty and were real workhorses in their day.

Any photos of your cameras David? Especially of your vintage Nikons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not on the main computer at the moment, but I am sure I have a piccy somewhere of them when I was dusting them, I'll dig it out later.

Just a compact camera for me. (Out dated now of course). Decent quality results on auto and manual settings, to my untrained eye.

Last edited:
Currently 6D +24-105mm, 50mm f1.8 and 70-200mm f4 (Non IS)

Couple of recent photos taken in September during our holiday on the Big Island - Hawai'i

21420597049_09a39f428c_k.jpg

20880769084_c62e6f42ea_k.jpg

Still have my Olympus OM10 SLR camera that must be 30 years old now. It's a long time since I put any film in that.
OM10-1_zpsnpmonzzt.jpg

Now using a Fujifilm XP70 compact.Gives excellent images, its waterproof, transfer images wirelessly to smartphone and records HD video. Its all I need now.
XP70_Blue_Back_zps9l65ucnc.jpg

384004ee-18e3-4d9f-b724-c18169196287_zps63oaen0i.jpg

Last edited:
These days I still occasionally carry my DSLRs (Sony A700 and Sony A77) but most of my photos in the last 2 years have been taken with:

Sigma DP1M
Sigma DP2M
Sigma DP3M

And I also carry an old Canon G10 that won't die - and a Fuji XP70 that I got cheap as backup. The XP70 isn't anywhere near the Sigmas and DSLRs in terms of image quality - but it's weather proof and immersible - so is kept for when the others can't be risked - I call it my 'rain camera'.

The Sigmas are weird little things. But they've changed the way I go about approaching taking photograps and I'm besotted with them now to the point where my DSLRs don't come out to play unless I have a good reason to need them due to focal length, focus speed, or low light. Most of the time I carry the three Sigmas in a little bag with loads of spare batteries and a couple of polarising filters.

I used to work as a photographer. Currently, have a Nikon D300, Contax 167MT, couple of other older 35mm film cameras and about a dozen compact digital cameras that I used to use with children when teaching them about photography.

I'm currently in the process of selling most of my studio equipment, should anyone be interested. I'very got a load of Elinchrom lighting, Profoto brollies, Lastolite backgrounds, etc... Drop me a PM for further info.

Now using a Fujifilm XP70 compact.Gives excellent images, its waterproof, transfer images wirelessly to smartphone and records HD video. Its all I need now

Depends on how you use it.

The lens is so-so, the sensor is 16Mp but not really, and the dynamic range isn't great, and it only produces JPegs.

So fine in bright conditions with decent contrast levels - particularly if you really think of it as a 5 or 6Mp camera in terms of usable resolution.

Mine tends to get used in poor conditions (it's my 'rain camera'). And in low contrast dull conditions something with a 1" or APS-C sensor would normally do a lot better.

(So it's not a bad camera - just one to be aware of the limitations)

Last edited:
I have somewhere in the region of 20 old Nikon 35mm cameras, including a couple of Fs, an F2, Nikkormats, Nikomats, FMs, FGs etc, and about 10 dslrs, D100s, D200s and a D300.

For my pocket, I have a Canon G7X and the camera in my Sony Xperia Z5 is pretty good for a phone.

We were talking about first dates the other day, and when I met my mrs 31 years ago, I was skint, so I sold a lovely Pentax Spotmatic F outfit , complete with a 17mm Pentax fisheye lens, to pave the way for an impressionable few dates!

Canon EOS 20D - my first digital, gifted to me. Only gripes are a battery that's contacts forever need cleaning and it only having a 50mm lens. I got used to a 80-210mm zoom on the OM10 I used for years - a cracking camera - so a zoom is on the shopping list (along with a whole load of other non-photographic stuff that assumes higher priority). Still, there's cropping in the meantime.

Bodies:
Nikon D4s, D810, D7200, D300 and D3200

Lenses:
Sigma 150-600 Sport lens
Nikon 300mm f2.8
Nikon 70-300 VR
Sigma 105mm Macro
Tamron 19-35mm

Main reason I bought my ML was to allow me to get back into the hills round the Highlands in Feb when there is snow on the ground so I can get out to photograph wildlife, oh and to have some comfort on the 1000 mile round trip to take the photos. Boot is always full of camera gear, bean bags, tripods and stuff no matter where I am, even while I'm at work as I never know when I'll see something I want to capture.

I started out with an Ilford Sportsman , handed down from my dad , then replaced it with a Zeiss Contina ( both 35mm rangefinders ) while still at school . My first 'serious' camera was a Rolleiflex T , twin lens reflex , and I went on to have another two Rolleis . My first SLR was a Pentax KM , bought new around 1975 , and I still have it somewhere . I went on to the ME , then the ME Super , then the MX , and bought a second one before ending up with a pair of LX's . I built up a nice collection of SMC Takumar glass , mainly primes and was happy with that system for a long time , never particularly feeling the need to move to AF .

Some of the jobs I have had involved doing bits of photography and I always just used my own kit , until I went to work for a local photographer ( doing the video side of his business ) but sometimes helping out with photography ( anything but weddings ! ) and had the use of his Hasselblads .

Since working for the Fire Service , we are provided with Nikon kit , but I find it too bulky and heavy , so I have stuck with my roots and still shoot Pentax ; about 10 years ago I first went digital with an *istD , but now have a K-3 and a K-01 mirrorless body , which is compact and inconspicuous but still uses all my K mount lenses . Since the change to digital , I have collected a few AF lenses , including a couple of the Pentax Limited series and a few Sigma EX lenses , but still happily use my old manual primes a lot of the time .

For other accessories , I have numerous Manfrotto video and still tripods , several Metz flashes ( started out with an old Mecablitz 500 with the first Rollei , and currently have , from memory , three 45's , two 54's , and a 70 ) , a Pentax ring flash for macro work , as well as some nice Elinchrom studio flash lights .

With the advent of ebay , I started collecting some older bodies just for fun : a couple of Spotmatics , an ESII , a KX , oh and an MZ-S which was the last film era AF flagship and a very nice camera . I used to have a lot of my older cameras in a display cabinet , until SWMBO complained , and they now live in a Peli case up in the attic !

I also still have a little Rollei 35S ( the smallest full frame 35mm camera made ) which I used to use on holidays , and only replaced it with a Canon G11 a few years back , before swapping that for the K-01 , which with its APS-C sensor produces much cleaner , less noisy images for only a slight increase in size .

A couple from yesterday - the wettest Remembrance Day parade I've attended in years .

Latest camera is a Canon 7D, decided I didn't want to upgrade to the Mk2, still have my old 350D as backup, mostly use a Canon 15-85 as a walkabout lens, with a Sigma 120-300 f2.8 with 1.4 and 2X multipliers for the bird stuff, also have a Tokina 90mm macro lens for the little things :D

I mostly use large sensor compacts now ... currently a Sony R100 II (1" sensor) and a Ricoh GR (APS-C) . I also have an old Canon 20D SLR (APS-C), which I use with a 70-200 f/4L when I need a bit more reach. The compacts give better image quality with shorter lenses.

My first camera (in the mid-60s) was a Russian Cosmic 35 which I still have somewhere, along with a Lomo BC (with clockwork motordrive!) - my first dedicated aerial photography camera.

My favourite 35mm camera was probably my black Olympus OM-1n which was part of a fairly comprehensive system with an OM-2sp for TTL flash and an XA rangefinder compact. Bags of lenses/grips/flashes/cables/filters/etc.

My digital compacts get handed down to the kids eventually as they have little value secondhand. Biggest disappointment was a Canon G9, which is the only camera I've ever had that actually died (image processor failed - beyond economic repair).

My all-time favourite was Mamiya Press 23 Pro ... had a full compliment of lenses and probably all the available accessories - fantastic camera, never missed a beat in over a decade - from Arctic Circle to Equator ... Wish I still had it.

Just a compact camera for me. (Out dated now of course). Decent quality results on auto and manual settings, to my untrained eye.

Clearly not. Nice shots!

Currently 6D +24-105mm, 50mm f1.8 and 70-200mm f4 (Non IS)

Couple of recent photos taken in September during our holiday on the Big Island - Hawai'i

Lovely, very moody Tiguan shot.

Still have my Olympus OM10 SLR camera that must be 30 years old now. It's a long time since I put any film in that.

Now using a Fujifilm XP70 compact.Gives excellent images, its waterproof, transfer images wirelessly to smartphone and records HD video. Its all I need now.

Love the picture of the Olympus. Wasn't there also an OM1 and OM2?

Depends on how you use it.

The lens is so-so, the sensor is 16Mp but not really, and the dynamic range isn't great, and it only produces JPegs.

So fine in bright conditions with decent contrast levels - particularly if you really think of it as a 5 or 6Mp camera in terms of usable resolution.

Mine tends to get used in poor conditions (it's my 'rain camera'). And in low contrast dull conditions something with a 1" or APS-C sensor would normally do a lot better.

(So it's not a bad camera - just one to be aware of the limitations)

Limitations? Aww come on. Look at the specs:

Manufacturer description: The FinePix XP70 rugged digital camera is waterproof to 33ft., shockproof from 5ft., freezeproof to 14°F and dustproof. It also features a 16MP CMOS high speed sensor with a 5x 28-140mm*2 optical zoom, WiFi connectivity for one touch transfers to smartphones and tablets, and captures full HD movies at 1080p, even underwater.

What more could you want from that type of camera? Most cameras would have given up and gone home whilst this one is just getting into its stride. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom