Campaign Support for "Keep left when you can"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
read the last sentance in rule 268 regarding traffic to your right:devil:

Now you're talking about congested traffic, which is quite different to the scenario described earlier - which is a single car, empty motorway, sat in middle lane. To undertake in this instance is dangerous and is an overtaking process.

To make progress in congestion, if your lane moves quicker (on the left) then you may stay in that lane and progress ahead of the lane on the right. The Code is implicit in that respect.

read the last sentance in rule 268 regarding traffic to your right:devil:

now im using your own quote against you.. i think your quote backs my argument up and by the way you posted the link, i just read it and diggested it before i took my IAM test.
What, the sentence about not weaving in & out of lanes to overtake? The same one referring to driving in congested traffic where you are allowed to pass on the left? (correct term). :devil: :devil:

As I said, the rules are not clear. It is not illegal to "undertake" a middle lane driver but if middle lane driver decides to pull left into your car as you go pass him on the left, it will be you who could be up for a charge of dangerous driving.

IAM test? If you're going to be teaching people to drive then gawd help us :rolleyes:

I think you need a re-test; I find it scary you're on the motorways with that belief. And as for flashing lights, you mean headlamps? I don't need to be informed of your presence, I will have seen you already, and likely avoided you as you're a danger on the carriageway!

just as it is legal to exceed the speed limit (within reason) whilst overtaking on a single carriageway.:D :D :D

Something's not right here. You can exceed the limit while overtaking on a single carriageway? Wonder how that one would stand up in court or are speed cameras calibrated nowadays to detect if you're overtaking? :rolleyes: :D

I think you need a re-test; I find it scary you're on the motorways with that belief. And as for flashing lights, you mean headlamps? I don't need to be informed of your presence, I will have seen you already, and likely avoided you as you're a danger on the carriageway!
:D :D :D :D :D

i am a professional driver membership number 252398 pass date 30/4/94

i do it for a living not as an instructor im the guy with the flashing lights behind you

you need to research overtaking you need to change lane to do it

Lar,

Are you saying:

1) You are a motorway cop &

2) If some asleep-at-the-wheel muppet is cruising at 68 mph in the middle lane I can perfectly legally drive past him in the left lane?

You got my vote! :bannana:

Nothing bugs me more than being on an empty stretch of motorway (rare these days, I know but it does happen in the wee hours) cruising along in the inside lane only to find some idiot sitting in the middle, forcing me to cross two lanes right then two lanes left to go round them. All the while they're oblivious to what's happening.:mad:

please dont take a retest a suggested as youll fail, it is perfectly legal to undertake in those circumstances as long as you do not exceed the speedlimit, just as it is legal to exceed the speed limit (within reason) whilst overtaking on a single carriageway.:D :D :D

Where in India did you take your driving test.:D

I don't understand why they don't just make it compulsory for new drivers to pass a test before there allowed to drive on the motorway or at least have some sort of lessons.
The same day I passed my test I asked for my instructor to do just this which he did and it taught me some very simple but valuable lessons.
Your not going to 'fix' the problem of bad motorway driving quickly so I believe you have to start with the new driving generation and then hopefully, when they are all as old as us we will have educated everyone younger than them with the hope of stopping those damn bloomin annoying middle lane idiots.

I think the issue comes back to this; if the lane to you left is clear enough, use it. This negates all overtaking on the left/undertaking as its also referred to, because the lanes to the right will be emptier.

Re the wee hours and empty Motorways bar the guy in the middle lane completely oblivious to his surroundings - educate, name and shame, prosecute? Something needs to happen. Does the technology exist for the cars to know you are middle lane hogging and beep at you till you move over? Some kind of forward and rear camera facility on the mirrors for exmaple with intelligence. Even something similar to the Citroen white lane hogging system which beeps to tell you that you are straddling white lines? There is of course a danger of too many alerts in the car then!

What can be done :-( ?

just as it is legal to exceed the speed limit (within reason) whilst overtaking on a single carriageway.:D :D :D

Absolute tosh.

The legal instrument applying here is the Road Traffic Regulation Act, section 89:

A person who drives a motor vehicle on a road at a speed exceeding a limit imposed by or under any enactment to which this section applies shall be guilty of an offence.

And needless to say that the Highway Code (which is not by itself a legal instrument) is pretty clear about it as well:

You MUST NOT exceed the maximum speed limits for the road and for your vehicle

and (bold by me)

The speed limit is the absolute maximum

etc.

There is absolutely no legal provision that makes it possible to exceed the speed limit under any circumstances on the public roads, apart from emergency vehicles.

People like you who have such appalling knowledge of the basic laws that apply should really not be on the roads at all.

I think the issue comes back to this; if the lane to you left is clear enough, use it. This negates all overtaking on the left/undertaking as its also referred to, because the lanes to the right will be emptier.

Re the wee hours and empty Motorways bar the guy in the middle lane completely oblivious to his surroundings - educate, name and shame, prosecute? Something needs to happen. Does the technology exist for the cars to know you are middle lane hogging and beep at you till you move over? Some kind of forward and rear camera facility on the mirrors for exmaple with intelligence. Even something similar to the Citroen white lane hogging system which beeps to tell you that you are straddling white lines? There is of course a danger of too many alerts in the car then!

What can be done :-( ?

"Educate"? "Educate"? How many times have we heard "Educate"?

We must "educate" adults not to throw litter in the streets, not to go out on a Thursday, Friday & Saturday night & drink themselves into belligerent, puking monsters, not to live on a diet of chip butties, chicken Mc****nuggets & blue fizzy drinks, not to smoke, not to make no show GP appointments & on & on & on.

Where where these idiots the first time around when the rest of us were picking up our "education"?

Agreed. But just being annoyed by them doesn't solve the problem... How does it goet sorted out?

Do the Police Officers among us think is a 'Driving without due care and attention' offence? or is the 'risk' to other road users too low?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom