Campaign Support for "Keep left when you can"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graeme_H

Car
W211 320CDi AMG with bits
Why is it that in heavy traffic, the right hand lane is always heavier than the middle and the middle is heavier than the left on Motorways? M40 and then M25 and then M1 today ... Everyone was keeping right not left! Why?

Will their slot in heavy traffic be lost putting them at risk in some way?

What can we do about the scurge of the UK Motorways?

What about retesting drivers every few years? Would clear up congestion as bad drivers would be gone. Forced to use Public Transport, that would have extra cash and would hopefully improve, and middle lane or Right hand lane hogging - just for clarification - would be a dangerous fail in the test.

Any supporters?

:)

Frankly I think motorways today are simply too busy & congested for "keep left" to work as it should. I try to, but after a time, I get bored of almost weaving left/right/left/right/left - I think most people are the same.

I did suggest on another thread that undertaking be allowed. I can see and accept the hesitation for this but is it really such an issue, especially if, for example, the speed limit was dare I say it lowered during high congestion (like the M25 variable limit, but on all busy motorways). Food for thought...

I fully endorse the "keep left" however during times where the road is empty, it's plain daft to sit on the right on a free-flowing motorway (and perhaps then, the limit should increase..?)

Last edited:
Hmmm. Interesting idea. I agree on some roads that true, and it is certainly time dependent but routinely I find myself on empty roads with someone poodling along in the middle or right hand lane...

At peak times, limits should be lower. M42, M25 good exmaples of it working well. There should also be times where limits are 80mph 11pm-3am say? or is that just too controversial?

You got my vote! :bannana:

I think it's from the left lane = slow, middle lane = normal speed & right lane = fast lane days so when traffic bunches people pull right thinking that the flow will be faster. :crazy:

Nothing bugs me more than being on an empty stretch of motorway (rare these days, I know but it does happen in the wee hours) cruising along in the inside lane only to find some idiot sitting in the middle, forcing me to cross two lanes right then two lanes left to go round them. All the while they're oblivious to what's happening.:mad:

I say rip down speed cameras, scrap MP expenses & spend the money saved on Police patrols that actually enforce the Highway Code.....They'd make even more money in fines from catching the idiots that drive dangerously, which speed cameras don't get...:cool:

You got my backing 100%

As the above post, when I go to/from work, it's always late, early/late hours and some plank is always in the middle lane/fast lane of the carriageway oblivious to what they're doing. If you orn or flash your lights to let them know you're behind and want to pass/get them back into the Empty left lane, they ignore you or stick up fingers.

Anyone have instructions for fitting surface to surface missiles to target middle lane hoggers? :devil:

I think it's from the left lane = slow, middle lane = normal speed & right lane = fast lane days so when traffic bunches people pull right thinking that the flow will be faster. :crazy:

Nothing bugs me more than being on an empty stretch of motorway (rare these days, I know but it does happen in the wee hours) cruising along in the inside lane only to find some idiot sitting in the middle, forcing me to cross two lanes right then two lanes left to go round them. All the while they're oblivious to what's happening.:mad:

I say rip down speed cameras, scrap MP expenses & spend the money saved on Police patrols that actually enforce the Highway Code.....They'd make even more money in fines from catching the idiots that drive dangerously, which speed cameras don't get...:cool:

It would allow a more human element in the policing of the roads, where an officers discretion could be used. He could also educate you, sternly, @ the roadside why middle lane hogging is bad, rather than a camera enforcing an MPH here or there.

It would allow a more human element in the policing of the roads, where an officers discretion could be used. He could also educate you, sternly, @ the roadside why middle lane hogging is bad, rather than a camera enforcing an MPH here or there.

Exactly.

I can honestly say I've been stopped many times to/from work going a tad too quickly (at most 10-15mph above the limit of 50mph o na 3 lane carriageway). I've been lucky enough to have older officers stop me (the ones in their 40's - 55's that call me 'son' and have a laugh with me, lol).

I honestly do slow down, and have slowed down since the first few times, and I haven't been stopped since, which has been about 2-3 months now but I still see the same officers patrolling that stretch of the A406 in a BMW 5-series touring, and regularly flash my lights at them out of politeness. Lane hogging is something I don't do, and haven't done since I passed my test at 17; Officers educating people why it's wrong would be brilliant.

Last edited:

please dont take a retest a suggested as youll fail, it is perfectly legal to undertake in those circumstances as long as you do not exceed the speedlimit, just as it is legal to exceed the speed limit (within reason) whilst overtaking on a single carriageway.:D :D :D

please dont take a retest a suggested as youll fail, it is perfectly legal to undertake in those circumstances as long as you do not exceed the speedlimit, just as it is legal to exceed the speed limit (within reason) whilst overtaking on a single carriageway.:D :D :D

I think the guy in the middle would have more chance of failing a re-test. The rules on undertaking are pretty vague & could constitute a case of dangerous driving by the (pardon the pun :) ) undertaker if the manouvre went Pete Tong. The rules on keeping to the left hand lane are pretty clear. :D :D :D

the link is easy "the highway code"

1. on a motorway you are not undertaking because your are in different lanes at different speeds - to undertake you would be in the middle lane move left pass then move right.

2. to exceed the speed limit whilst on a single carriageway you overtake a vehicle that is travelling at 25mph you are travelling at 30mph and are not obliged to give way to slower traffic infront of you it would take to long to pass at a steady 30 mph therefore unsafe. the law allows to exceed this limit whilst doing so in a safe manner (ie straight stretch of road) - however there is no guidance on what speed is classed as acceptable so dont overtake someone in a 30mph limit whilst doing 55 -60 mph:eek: as they would class that as a no no.

here endith the lecture:bannana:

1. on a motorway you are not undertaking because your are in different lanes at different speeds - to undertake you would be in the middle lane move left pass then move right.

2. to exceed the speed limit whilst on a single carriageway you overtake a vehicle that is travelling at 25mph you are travelling at 30mph and are not obliged to give way to slower traffic infront of you it would take to long to pass at a steady 30 mph therefore unsafe. the law allows to exceed this limit whilst doing so in a safe manner (ie straight stretch of road) - however there is no guidance on what speed is classed as acceptable so dont overtake someone in a 30mph limit whilst doing 55 -60 mph:eek: as they would class that as a no no.

And people like you drive on the roads? How do you get your licence? :eek:

Your point 1 can apply in queues on the motorway, not when it's empty and some muppet is sitting in the middle lane, as per the example described. Your point 2 makes no sense to me.

And btw making stuff up isn't the same as posting a link to substantiate your bizarre reasoning :rolleyes: Give me a link that states what you have typed :crazy:

Not quite yet

From the Highway Code, section 268:
Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake.

The word "undertake" is never used.

:p :D :p

Not quite yet

From the Highway Code, section 268:
Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake.

The word "undertake" is never used.

:p :D :p

am i banging my head against a wall your not overtaking you never change lane!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:devil: Two more::bannana:

From Section 267:
Do not overtake unless you are sure it is safe and legal to do so. Overtake only on the right.

The rest of Section 268:
In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

I'll stop now as I'm getting **** retentive :eek:

read the last sentance in rule 268 regarding traffic to your right:devil:

now im using your own quote against you.. i think your quote backs my argument up and by the way you posted the link, i just read it and diggested it before i took my IAM test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom