Camshaft adjuster problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickid

Car
LIMITED EDITION 2002 MERCEDES C 230 KOMPRESSOR DESIGNO SPORT
Camshaft adjuster problem
I have been getting a brrrr sound for a split second when I rev the engine and it makes the same sound when the revs go down for a split second.
ive been told its the camshaft adjuster is bad.
this is how do I fix it?
all help needed please
02 230k coupe

It's a job for a pro really. It's bolted to the end of the inlet cam. It's quite expensive iirc£ £400 for the part.

I have the m111 engine
E1472ACD-5979-4EE4-B799-DA3F3C31641F-2939-0000017748BD1777.jpg

It's a job for a pro really. It's bolted to the end of the inlet cam. It's quite expensive iirc£ £400 for the part.

oh fantastic. that's what I didn't want to hear

The M111 engine has an adjustable inlet camshaft. If its the older design as fitted to the M104 engine then there's a little internal spring that sometimes breaks. If its that-- it can be replaced provided there is no more internal damage to seals etc. However its not a job to be taken lightly as Olly says-- as it means disturbing the engine timing gear. Here's a pdf which you might find useful? http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/12264/Program/Engine/104/05-2160.pdf

How do I know what engine m104 or m111
A03DB71C-6842-44AE-AD41-315911CA9BCD-2843-000002095B682591_zpsc3e71f0e.jpg

Last edited:
thought it would be.
now do I need to buy the whole camshaft adjuster? and do I need to buy anything else to stop the brrrr sound ?

Yes the whole adjuster. You will also need a rocker cover gasket. It is not that easy to do.

The tensioner has to be removed and re-set and the timing has to be spot on.

I get no noise on start up of rattling chain or any other noise only the brrrr for split second as I rev and let it fall again. could it be a worn cog or magnet instead ?

It WILL be the adjuster. I am pretty sure of it.

I expect £800 would cover the repair so not the end of the world for a Mercedes. It can rattle for along time before it needs to be replaced.

It WILL be the adjuster. I am pretty sure of it.

I expect £800 would cover the repair so not the end of the world for a Mercedes. It can rattle for along time before it needs to be replaced.

is that from Mercedes?

Sorry you misunderstood--- the camshaft adjuster found on the M111 engine is likely to be exactly the same as the one found on the M104.[ both same generation/design of engines one 4 cylinders one 6 cylinders as has been said] So the pdf link I posted will likely apply to your engine also. I only posted the M104 reference because its available online and there's not one for the M111.

that's great mate. I just need to find the part I need and then try and replace it myself. cant afford the cost of having it done.

Get a copy of WIS online.

Search for "serviceandparts.net"

Follow the instructions. Re-loading the chain tensioner and the timing up is the part you must get right. If not you will be looking for a new engine!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom