Can 1 buy, drive & insure this RR Sport CAT B?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dvb247

Car
AMG e55
RANGE ROVER SPORT 09 DAMAGED,REPAIRED | eBay

Have read a bit on CAT B and therefore I know the simply answer, but like most things there does seem to be a way round this with DVLA, any ideas?

New VIC check possibly? maybe a re-shell then VIC check?

Cheap car if it's possible!:eek:

I'd be concerned about the 'ideal overseas car' comment

Cat A is crush only
catB is break for parts only, not allowed back on the road
Cat C is repairable ad allowed back on the road with inspection
CatD is repairable minor damage no inspection required normally

I think it can all be summed up in the phrase "Ideal overseas car".

The problems stated previously being a cat B would ring alarm bells as has been said, it shouldnt be allowed back on the road. Plus the fact that the air suspension on these things, if it isnt working, will be a major point of expense to put right.

At that price (maybe even less) you could pick up a discovery 3 which hasnt been in some kind of accident, especially not a Cat B write off, albeit it will be an earlier model than this.

Why bother with it? If it's as a way into a cheap '58 plate Rangie, I'd can that idea and just go for an older, straight car.

As a Cat B, at that relatively young age it must have been blitzed in an accident. I'd give it a QE2-sized wide berth, but depends on your attitude to risk. ABI guidelines say it can't go back on the road, and it's likely you'd struggle to get a logbook - which is why he says 'ideal overseas car' no doubt.

Last edited:
Sounds about right, didn't really consider the overseas purchase, sounds like the owner has already tried DVLA for loopholes, there is a 360 Ferrari cab at £35k on CAT B on ebay also as it happens, it's been listed for at least 6 months, at that price it will never sell.
PS as I said I do know what the catagories mean having owned many D's

I have handled a CAT B car but it was new when I got it, it was my Navara Die Hard 4, limited edition company truck, someone pulled out of a country lane, I took them out and carried on through a dry stone wall. What happened next in short was this...
no GAP insurance, a gap was unavoidable so I asked for the salvage, got the salvage and noted a CAT B on it so I eBayed it as 18 months old truck damaged and CAT status for £1 starting bid, 7 days later it sold for silly money, gap dissappeared with plenty of change, unsavoury men from Poland speaking in broken English came to collect!!!!!
6045.JPG

Cat A is crush only
catB is break for parts only, not allowed back on the road
Cat C is repairable ad allowed back on the road with inspection
CatD is repairable minor damage no inspection required normally

The above is a quick breakdown of what is accepted as "acceptable practice under the guidlines of the MIB and ABI" it is not law, it is a "code of practice" for insurers and the scheme is administered by the DVLA (after 2005 I think) before that it was unregulated and completely voluntary to inform the DVLA.

Legally there is nothing to stop you driving a CAT B car on UK roads, it will be made difficult to insure which is generally why it doesn't occur. Or does so with individuals that hold traders policy making the insurance problem easier to circumvent (quite legally).

The car is being advertised as an export opportunity as no one abroad recognises our categorisation system. (what I'm not sure about is how you export a car legally with no log book).

Get that car to Australia with the correct documents and you could probably triple your money.

Last edited:
Whats frightening is some is going to end up putting their family in that death trap.

You can't really say that without knowing what the repair entailed, but the seller says RH Leg and Filtch panel. In itself they wouldn't make an expensive car a Cat-B so expect a lot more to have been done.

No V5 is the give away. He can't get one, so nor will any stupid enough buyer.

Last edited:
Note, that Boxter has a moodily painted rear bumper and front wing and He still hasn't trimmed the hedge from Summer to Winter.

Obviously dodgy...

So it's not looking like a CAT B its looking like a stolen not recovered!!!:eek:

I wonder whats under the blanket? car blanket that is!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom