Can a fuel computer be retro-fitted?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Horrgakx

Car
Audi S4 B9
My W210 E55 AMG doesn't have a fuel computer but I wish it did.
Yes I do work out my MPG from my fuel receipts but I want to see what I'm getting to the gallon at any instant or be able to average it over a certain stretch.

Now, does MB make these cars with everything in and simply disable stuff depending on spec? Or will there be a "fuel computer module" or something that is fitted to some cars but obviously missing from mine?

What about 3rd party stuff if fitting an MB system isn't possible (or is very expensive) - do such 3rd party things exist?

Hi,
Is,nt the MPG display in the multi-function display on the instrument cluster?

Very surprised that a W210 E55 doesn't have fuel consumption displayed as is.

You can buy modules that plug into OBD port, that will show various data, including mpg.

It kinda has multi-function display but not like the newer cars. It shows temperature, total mileage, trip mileage and time and shows messages like "TURN OFF LIGHTS" etc.

It looks similar to this;
P1000979-1.jpg

(Credit to "Hadam 1" who is the owner of this picture, mine is very similar with only a few differences and I assume this one above is a US version or something).

Last edited:
I have heard excellent reports on this - you can get them from ebay.

Yes I have heard good things from Scangauge too :)

Nearly thought I had uncovered some mpg watching goodness when I went through my Comand engineering menu. I now have a fuel economy screen, but unfortunately it doesn't show anything. :(

This company seems to be cheapest;
ScanGauge II 3 in 1 Automotive Computer

So - I have an OBD2 EOBD? (whatever that is :) ) The website says "any petrol car from December 2000" - mine's a 1999 model W210 E55 AMG.

I looked under the dash today to see if I could locate a plug but as far as I can see there's no big multifunction plug.

Here's a pic.
DashUnderside.jpg

Hi,
I don,t think the unit is compatible with your car, it says that the unit plugs into your diagnostic socket, the E55 diagnostic socket is under the bonnet in the ECU box.
E55 like my C43 isn,t OBDII compliant.

Hmm... thanks.

I'll rephrase the question - Can I fit a fuel computer to "MY" car (a 1999 W210 E55 AMG)?

Probably best way to fit one is to fit a facelift steering wheel, airbag and instrument cluster.

there is how to on here for it that i wrote

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom