Can a Key lose its code ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogbreath

Car
2005 E55K AMG
So I bought my car a month ago and have only decided to see if the spare works.. It didn't so I changed the battery, still nothing, it don't make that electrical noise connection sound when you put it into the ignition.
Can it be re coded? and also can both my keys have a new code installed or have they got to use the original code..... Does that make sense?
Car is a 2005 E55k
Thanks
Lee

i had the same thing and look it to a locksmith/car key place who did a procedure to 'remind' the car of the key.

he said straightforward to do and I could have found out how to do it from the net

so not that the key looses it's code, but that the car needs to be told to use it again

hope this helps
(the following copied from another forum, but I haven't checked if this works)

How to Program Mercedes Remote Keys

The transponder chip inside the key must be synchronized to the cars
immobiliser (for starting car) to proceed with these steps.

1. Place transmitter key in ignition lock and turn to position 2

2. Extract transmitter key from ignition lock

3. Within 10 seconds:
press (close) pushbutton, hold and simultaneously press (open)
pushbutton five times one after the other release pushbuttons and then
press one of the two pushbuttons once

It may also be necessary to synchronize a transmitter key if the
battery in the transmitter key has been replaced.

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
I'd like to try to synchronise the key but it won't turn the ignition on so I can't turn the key to position 2.

Are you sure it's the right key they gave you? Take the actual key out of the fob and see if it opens the car using the keyhole?

Not sure where it's located on the E....possibly the boot area somewhere?

I was thinking exactly that myself.... Cheers Dave, I'm off to check now..!

Haha what a Barsteward...... It looks like it's not the correct key..... Why would you do that...? Just say it has only 1 key....! Fkin tosser!
Anyway so what's my options....? Don't like the thought of someone having my spare, can I get my original and a new key with a different code put on them? So the original spare can't be used to open or work my car...?
Cheers
Lee

If it open the doors remotely, it could be the spare key. If yours is similar to mine (W210) then it could be a broken coil. Solder a new one and it will work

Haha what a Barsteward...... It looks like it's not the correct key..... Why would you do that...? Just say it has only 1 key....! Fkin tosser!
Anyway so what's my options....? Don't like the thought of someone having my spare, can I get my original and a new key with a different code put on them? So the original spare can't be used to open or work my car...?
Cheers
Lee

Well you can do that one of the best places is in Birmingham,it is Replacementmercedeskeys.co.uk you might be able to get it done elsewhere as your car is a 2005 ,once you get to 2007 it gets tricky because they changed the chip in the key and as far as I know nobody has worked out how to clone keys so it is Mercedes or nothing.

Well you can do that one of the best places is in Birmingham,it is Replacementmercedeskeys.co.uk you might be able to get it done elsewhere as your car is a 2005 ,once you get to 2007 it gets tricky because they changed the chip in the key and as far as I know nobody has worked out how to clone keys so it is Mercedes or nothing.
Cheers for the link , I will have a look on there.

If it open the doors remotely, it could be the spare key. If yours is similar to mine (W210) then it could be a broken coil. Solder a new one and it will work
Hi Bob
It won't Do owt mate so think it must be the wrong key, best get me hand in my pocket, not gunna be a cheap fix...:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom