Can airmatic be swapped to conventional shocks and springs on a 2005 CLS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fattyvery

Car
Cls 320cdi
Hi

I have a 2005 Cls with airmatic suspension which I’ve never really liked. I have always found it wallowing and like riding on a knackered mattress. The car has done 90k.

It has now started to give me problems in the sense that a dashboard light came on “visit workshop” and the suspension has become very “wooden” since. Not quite sure what the issue is but will get the codes read. My question is can I do away with the airmatic suspension entirely and just install normal shocks and springs? I know Arnott do a conversion kit but at the prices they are asking it practically writes the car off.

Any help would be appreciated. I’m london based. Thank you

You could go with the MB offering of steel suspension for the CLS, Either way it's not a cheap swap. Once stripped out the car will need coding to allow it to know of the change.
Getting the codes read is spot on and defo the first thing to do. I experienced 'wooden' Airmatic on my CLS and it was the steering angle sensor failing. The car sets the suspension as it can't determine what driver steering inputs are being made. Might be your problem, relatively cheap fix.

another culprit for very hard suspension is failing of the any acceleration sensor... codes, codes, codes

Airmatic is known for beeing PITA if not serviced regularly... it should not wallow either if in solid condition.

I am not sure if Arnott makes coilovers for CLS (because there are normal iron suspension parts available - which S-class has not). I believe they should have some fooling system for other systems... which on the other hand may not get you rid of errors of the already malfunctioning airmatic.

There are numerous firms that will fit conventional suspension, but (as you have found) it will not be cheap. I recall an R230 I was interested in a few years ago that had had it done, and the owner had spent around £4k. Spend a few pounds and have the codes read; it may be far, far cheaper to have whatever is wrong with your Airmatic fixed. Serviceable Airmatic is a very good suspension system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom