Can an expert confirm these will fit??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nictry

Car
ML63
Just about to go ahead with a purchase of some wheels from a nice forumite and really just want to sanity check and make sure they will fit directly onto my W210 without spacers or any other faffing around?

Can someone in the know confirm that the following wheels will fit without any grief?

Current wheels are standard 15" elegance with 205/65/15 and the new wheels are 17" Carlssons with 235/45/17 on the Front 255/40/17 on the rears and the wheels are 8J wide with an offset of ET30. (KLP92s old ones)

Have checked some online tyre calcs and the tyresizes look fine but it is the wheels themselves I am more concerned about as don't want to mess the seller around at all? Checked this site http://www.rimstock.co.uk/rimstockuk/rimstockframeset.htm and the 17x8j looks OK but shows ET of 35 not 30 so a little bit confused :crazy:

Cheers in advance :D

nictry said:
Just about to go ahead with a purchase of some wheels from a nice forumite and really just want to sanity check and make sure they will fit directly onto my W210 without spacers or any other faffing around?

Can someone in the know confirm that the following wheels will fit without any grief?

Current wheels are standard 15" elegance with 205/65/15 and the new wheels are 17" Carlssons with 235/45/17 on the Front 255/40/17 on the rears and the wheels are 8J wide with an offset of ET30. (KLP92s old ones)

Have checked some online tyre calcs and the tyresizes look fine but it is the wheels themselves I am more concerned about as don't want to mess the seller around at all? Checked this site http://www.rimstock.co.uk/rimstockuk/rimstockframeset.htm and the 17x8j looks OK but shows ET of 35 not 30 so a little bit confused :crazy:

Cheers in advance :D

Since these new rims are wider at the back then you are for all intents and purposes working with 2 new offsets compared to the previous one.

According to my catalogue there are several rims that are OEM for pre 2002 cars with an offset of 37 in 17" rubber. So if your existing ones are offset 30 then it should fall within the range of offsets used.

Is the car from which they are removed similar in any way ? What about the inside shape and the braking system.

Which car were they originally sold for ?

They are currently on a 300E-24v and were prev on a Brabus 3.6 CE so not really able to compare as prob not standard sizes for either car!

nictry
they'll fit straight on no probs, but when those 255/40R17 wear down, consider putting 235/45R17 all round - even with 8.5/7.5x17 setup, MB fit this size all round..
which 17" carlsson wheel are they??
And as an aside, Carlsson no longer make car specific wheels - you HAVE to buy their custom spacers to adapt them to your car...

Hi Christopher, thanks for the information looks good then so have gone ahead with the purchase. The wheel is shown below (has Brabus covers not Carlsson though?)
wheel1.jpg

I don't know too much about older Carlsson wheels, so just check they are what the seller says they are...

Cheers, I think all is OK as they have been passed through the forums by a couple of members.

One final question, there are bolts that come with the wheels which are a little shorter than the standard bolts (at least I believe they are shorter) should I only fit the wheels to the W210 with the other bolts or should I assume that the current (OEM) bolts will be the correct ones?

Is there a way of telling before I fit them which should be the correct bolts?

Well, incidentally I need to call Carlsson about bolts tomorrow..
You'll have M12x1.5 bolts, but the length and radius of the seat may be different. Make sure you have at least 13mm of thread inside the hub, and check which bolts seat nicely in the radius of the wheel.. they are both likely to be R12... but since Carlsson sell the same wheel for M12 and M14 cars and that M12R14 bolts are very rare..I'm not sure how they do it.. any input from anyone else on bolts??

This is probably a really dim question but suddenly occured to me that when I change my 4 wheels I will still have the original size spare wheel in the boot!!! Now if something happens and I have to change a wheel will I actually be able to drive the car with a 15" wheel as a spare???

I am suspecting that the difference in profile of the 17" tyres will mean they are actually the same depth and all 4 wheels will hit the road at the same time? but thought I would check just to be sure???

nictry said:
This is probably a really dim question but suddenly occured to me that when I change my 4 wheels I will still have the original size spare wheel in the boot!!! Now if something happens and I have to change a wheel will I actually be able to drive the car with a 15" wheel as a spare???

I am suspecting that the difference in profile of the 17" tyres will mean they are actually the same depth and all 4 wheels will hit the road at the same time? but thought I would check just to be sure???

Yep, many cars have a similar set up regarding the spare wheel.

The idea being that when you upgrade to larger size rims, you choose tyres with a lower profile to keep the same overall diameter.

My C230K came factory supplied with larger AMG rims, but has a 15" spare.

Just make sure you keep hold of a set of wheel bolts for the old wheels if the new ones are different. :cool:

HTH,

Will

Will said:
Yep, many cars have a similar set up regarding the spare wheel.

The idea being that when you upgrade to larger size rims, you choose tyres with a lower profile to keep the same overall diameter.

My C230K came factory supplied with larger AMG rims, but has a 15" spare.

Just make sure you keep hold of a set of wheel bolts for the old wheels if the new ones are different. :cool:

HTH,

Will

Thanks and great point about the bolts as I hadn't thought about that :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom