Can any tell me the easy way to fit an alarm in my Vito?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny705

Car
Vito 120
I am thinking of doing electrics in a few weeks , running all my accessories off a leisure battery ,linked to main battery via a Digital relay.

Will run the following off it:

Main Stereo/Tablet for sat nav.
USB/fag lighter charging points.
Small inverter for mainly laptop / power tool charging.
Rear led lights of some sort.
Rear camera with monitor and front camera - potentially linked to a digital recorder .
Anything else I think of :)

But I would like an alarm , so am thinking I could get anyone as such and wire it from this battery.
I know if it is done this way I can add as many sirens sensors etc and potentially paging system or/and GPS tracker .

The negatives I guess are separate remote fob - don't care.
No connection to indicators.- not a big concern if it beeps when armed.
And if it has a immobilising circuit it won't be connected to vehicle- only worry.

But is it likely to be robbed without a key anyway?

Or should I just wedge out and get it fitted professionally and get a certificate for reduced insurance.

Any thoughts?

Did your Vito not come from the factory with an alarm already installed?
Any mention of it in your documentation?
What year is the Vito?

Dec

SWorry have only just got back from being away and had no phone signal :)

My van is a 2008 - it has a sticker on window saying it has a MB alarm , but no flashing lights, or sensors I can see as such .

If I kick the tyres with some big boots will it go off ?

How can I tell as such ?

These MB alarms fail after several years, yours is probably dead.
Test it as follows;
-Leave a window open.
-Lock the van with the remote, this will arm the alarm, a Red light should be flashing somewhere on dash to show the alarm is armed.
-Wait 1 minute to let the alarm arm itself.
-Reach in the open window and open the door and the other door as well.
-If your alarm is working properly, the siren will sound for 30 seconds and the hazards will flash for 3 minutes, and the alarm will then rearm itself, wait the full 3 minutes for the test to complete.

If the above doesn’t work then you need a new alarm siren from MB dealer, cost about £100 if you fit itself, this should bring the alarm back to full working order.

The brains/ECU of the alarm system is contained within the alarm siren.

See also… https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/223931-alarm.html#post2463120

Your key is your immobilise, when you remove the key from the ignition then the van is immobilised. Whoever possesses the key can start the van.

Dec

Last edited:
How can I tell as such ?

Not sure about the Vito specifically but normally on an M-B there'd be switches on the dash to temporarily disable the tilt and interior movement sensors.

Not sure about the Vito specifically but normally on an M-B there'd be switches on the dash to temporarily disable the tilt and interior movement sensors.

Looks like this.

Mercedes-Vito-638-Anti-Theft-Dash-Switch.jpg

Dec

Thanks guys :) will give the alarm thing a try , but I cannot remember seeing any kind of siren in Engine bay when I done oil cooler change and it was well stripped at front, also never seen a light on dash at all.

Just thinking I could fit ANY alarm if I do it the way I am thinking.
Also don't think you can get paging systems over here due to the legality of frequency they operate on, But in the States they are relatively cheap or Ebay.

Also could have as many sensors sirens etc as I wanted, Cannot see a real professional thief wanting to nick my Van , because if they are that good at getting by Ignition Key immobiliser, they would nick something newer :)

Just be handy with tools etc as Electrician, and have some expensive stuff , tools wise, so would be great if I had a paging alarm , as you can silent them, so just as they think they can take their time and unload everything I can be but a moment away .

Was going to get van sign written ,but am kind off shying away from it now, as the thought of someone wreaking my doors to get in , even if they nicked nothing would upset me greatly .

And 9/10 you never catch them -hence pager :)

If you have an MB sticker in window then you are likely to have an alarm fitted.
If you tested triggered the alarm then it’s either not working or it’s possible it was giving trouble and the last owner removed the siren, there may be a socket that it was plugged into somewhere in the engine bay… if that is where the siren is located on a Vito?

If you are in the U.S. then it might be a different set up over there.

See locks… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0F1fKEr4Uc

Dec

Ive retro fitted the genuine mercedes alarm to my van, i thin i posted a thread on here about it.. have a look below the fuse box towards the front ns light as thats where the module/siren lives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom