Can anyone explain this ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barnowl1

Car
Honda
Whilst scouring the market for a low mileage, late, ( say 2018) C63 cabriolet, I’ve noticed a high proportion of cars have had a disproportionate number of owners. Like 3 owners in 3 yrs, or 4 in 4 yrs, I even saw one that had had 6 owners, yes 6 owners in 3 yrs. I’m beginning to worry that I may be buying a very expensive lemon. Is there an issue with C63 cabs. that I need to know about, before I sell my very reliable and much loved E350 ?
thnx

Some owners buy them without realising the true cost to keep them on the road. They see the price of a B service and sell 'em.
I'm sure some buy just to scratch that V8 itch, then move them on before they lose too much in depreciation.
If you buy from a main dealer they should have 2 yrs warranty on an AMG.

It's not unusual for high performance cars to change hands rapidly in a short time. As above, the cost of ownership or the itch scratched.

With any AMG check out the price of genuine disc and pads etc compared to those on a regular merc !
They do sound amazing though and certainly "scratch the itch " as mentioned above or tick a box on the bucket list , I would certainly love an S63 but really cannot warrant the additional costs above my S500

Don't discount the fact that some might have been pre-registered, thus accounting for the 1st owner. However, a high number of owners would, for me, if not ring alarm bells, at least highlight the need for careful due diligence and, as said by others, I've seen a few people wince at parts/service costs (brakes, plugs etc.) on some AMGs and sell them on, so I'd be double-checking the service history, type/make of tyres fitted etc., .

They can be slightly heavier on fuel than some people are used to nowadays, which may or may not be a factor.

So….63 or 63S ? There is a price difference that can be a few thou. and cannot be ignored, or should it? Running costs aren't a main issue cos I don’t go anywhere…and I’m not heavy on the R foot….. ( well, not often )…..just want one…!

I'd buy the S in the best example I could afford. I think it would hold its value a little better too. I'd also look for one with the switchable exhaust. (Pre 19?) Sounds great with the valves open.
Try and get a test drive in both versions to see if you feel the price difference is worth it.

It's not just the high running costs (servicing, insurance, VED, fuel), it's also the fact that quite a few people buy them because they have an itch to scratch, then after a short while get bored with them and swap them for the next thing that will bring them excitement.

So when it comes to C63, the car having had several owners in a short frame of time isn't necessarily indicative of a 'lemon', though it does carry another risk: owners who know they will soon sell the car might be tempted to avoid investing in servicing, maintenance, or repairs.... so check the service history with a magnifying glass, as well as general condition and possible faults.

The C63 W204 (mainly in coupe form ) has gained a bit of a Chavvy reputation of late, not the top end well maintained examples we often see on here but in life in general. No reason why the later W205's should be any different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom