Can anyone identify This?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ninaandphil

Car
Mercedes 300CE 24V
Hi all,

I've removed the wings on my 300CE 24V whilst going about my restoration of the car. Under the passenger side wing I came across this black box, and I haven't got a clue as to its purpose! :confused:

I pipe comes from the top, heads to the front of the inner wing where it ends... looks as though a further pipe may have been connected to it inside the engine bay.... Two further pipes come out... one goes under the car towards the rear, the other goes into the engine bay and appears to be connected somewhere deep under the air filter / inlet manifold...

Originally this carwas a diesel, but has an engine transplant before i purchased it... is this of any relevance?

Cheers and thanks for your help...

Phil

Attachments

• what is this.jpg
    what is this.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 269
I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark - it looks like vacuum pipes going into it, so I'm going to guess that it's something to do with the central locking????

If I'm right, do I get a prize? lol

Charcoal cannister filter isn't it ?

I'd say it was definitely passed it's shelf life. ;)

Thanks guys.... stupid question I know, but charcoal filter for what? and why hide it in such an difficult place to get to if it needs changing...

Many Thanks....

charcoal for fuel vent system and dont look like that has ever been changed so
would fit a new one if you are restoring the car

Thanks CKLClive and all, now I know what I'm looking for I've found another thread on which also suggests I need to change it.....

Another item to add to the long list of bits to buy!

Cheers.

The new one will probably have a plastic body but will fit in the retaining bracket OK . ACTIVATED CHARCOAL FILTER part no A1244700359

a whopping £72-90 from Inchcape.- you wont buy them anywhere else except from MB I'm pretty sure . Mercedes-Benz Parts, Inchcape Buy 6 jubilee type clips from your local hardware store at the same time much easier to use than those spring clip thingies[ they often break]

So what do you get for you 72 squid. Increased performance? What gets filtered and why?

I'm sure this sits in many a 124's aging wing and never gets a second thought.

It's an evap cannister evaporative loss from the fuel tank , stores fuel vapour in the charcoal , then when the engine is running a purge valve opens and the fuel vapour gets drawn into the engine to be burnt

Truth be told- they are hardly ever changed on the older models- how long they remain effective depends on the cars use= probably how often the tank is filled to the brim and ambient temperature. I believe on more modern models the design is different and if they get choked may flag up a fault code so its probably a "must replace" service item - owners of more recent cars may be able to confirm this?

Iirc these are a service item at ????? miles.

Every 75,000 miles if memory serves correctly. Many cars would have left the dealer network/ warranty period by that mileage which perhaps explains why in practice they are not changed- tho they should be according to the official schedule as you correctly stated.
I assume by that time the charcoal will have been poisoned enough by non volatile material that the filter efficiency is markedly effected. :dk:

What is the practical consequence of non service of this item?

Thanks for the part number Grober, I'll change the cannister for peace of mind, although at £72 the thought of an odour eater stuffed inside an old sock sounds more appealing!

Phil

Replaced charcoal filter...

Hi all, here's the new charcoal filter, purchased for the outrageous cost of £72!

All the inner wheel arches cleaned and given a lick of paint, ready to put the wings back on now.

Thanks for all the advice, and to Grober for the part number..

Can't see that it's made any difference to the running though!!

Regards

Phil

Attachments

• replaced cartridge.jpg
    replaced cartridge.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 65
It will not make a difference, it was for the environment etc, not performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom