Can anyone recommend a bike rack for the C coupe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cxtwo

Hi all,

I'd like to get a bike rack for my C coupe, and was wondering if anyone here uses one. I have no idea which one to get. Will the universal fit all types from Halfords fit my car? Any recommendations?

Thanks for your help !

I've got a Thule rack on my CLK. Really, I'd stay away from Halfords own (even though I believe they are made for them by Thule); the difference is staggering.

For your car, you need:

[1] Foot Pack: 750
[2] Bars (Square/Aero): 761 or 861
[3] Kit: 1233
[4] Lock: 544

Go for the Aero bars; the difference isn't much, but they look so much better.

That lot works out at about £123 from Roofracks.co.uk . I got mine from there a couple of years ago and have ordered from them since; highly recommended.

For your bikes, there's only one: the Thule 591. I've got two of the previous version. They're £60. Because of the cost mounting up, I thought I might get the Halford ones instead ... don't bother even looking. The Thule ones look, and are, much more substantial.

It all adds up, but it will last for years and if you do change cars, you may only need to change the feet.

Another reason to go to Roofracks is that they will make sure that the locks are the same for the bars and the bike carriers, so that you only need the one key to lock it all.

There's an old pic in the gallery of my car with the rack on.

My rack gets hammered but apart from losing one bolt (which Roofracks replaced FOC), is still going strong and looks almost* as new.

HTH. Come back with any questions :)

Cheers
Andrew

* I have a rack ( ;) ) in my garage that it sits on when not in use and some donut hadn't secured it properly when they last used it, which meant it came crashing down and scratched it. Wasn't me. Honestly.

I absolutely second all of that. Thule is good gear and worth every penny. I can add this:

Racks for whole bikes-
the 591 is a bit wider than the earlier version so you can only get 4 bikes on standard bars. The earlier version (510) is still around and you will get 5 of these on standard 120cm bars. I'd suggest the earlier version is slightly more secure too, because you can get away with forgetting to do up the latch (DAMHIKIJKOK)
Fork-mounted racks-
If you carry fewer bikes I'd look at forkmounts (Thule Velo-vice). The bikes are a tad lower, a bit more stable, and you can go faster. Obviously you need the wheel carriers too (which is why you can't get as many bikes up there)

I use 4 Tour 510s ans a 591 to carry 5 MTBs, or 2 Velo-vices for a couple of roadbikes.

Nick, I could never see the point of the Velo-vice; you have to take the front wheel off, secure the forks in the mounts and then put the wheel in the boot (or on a carrier). With my 510s (forgot the number ...), I can throw the bike up and secure it in seconds. Apart from those points you have mentioned, why would you choose a Velo-vice over a 510/591? Just curious ...

I need a new carrier (another bike) and liked the look of the 591. Will be getting one shortly. Think 3 is the maximum I'd put up on my car though.

How could you (or someone else ;) ) forget to do up the latch? :eek: I am so anal about checking the security of the rack. Good tug on each side, make sure all the locks are locked, tug on the bikes, look up through the windscreen to make sure they're still there :D , etc, etc.

I also have Thule Aero bars plus the 591 Bike carrier. Good indeed: Aero bars are very neat and the 591 makes puting the bike on very easy. Make sure you get a single key pack to avoid having different keys for the bars and racks

Flyer said:
Nick, I could never see the point of the Velo-vice; you have to take the front wheel off, secure the forks in the mounts and then put the wheel in the boot (or on a carrier). With my 510s (forgot the number ...), I can throw the bike up and secure it in seconds. Apart from those points you have mentioned, why would you choose a Velo-vice over a 510/591? Just curious ...

How could you (or someone else ;) ) forget to do up the latch? :eek: I am so anal about checking the security of the rack. Good tug on each side, make sure all the locks are locked, tug on the bikes, look up through the windscreen to make sure they're still there :D , etc, etc.

You can indeed throw the bike up in seconds, I agree. The advantage of the velo-vice is that it is lower and more stable, so you can go faster. The 510/591 is a lot more wobbly, I think because of both the extra height (C of G), and the clamping method.

If I need to carry 4 or 5 bikes then I use the 510/591 as that's the only way I can fit them all on. This applies to most races, - I need the capacity so use the 510/91. Tonight I am off to the Pyrenees with just one roadbike so will use the velo-vice and a wheelrack because I don't need the capacity but do want a high cruising speed.

I've forgotten the latches a couple of times. Its a combination of familiarity - "I've done this loads of times and don't pay much attention" sort of thing, plus it's easy to get distracted after a race - telling everyone how fast I was/reeling out excuses etc. With the 510 you're OK, but with the 591 you're OK until you turn left, when your bike will come through the driver's window!! The main thing is width though, I can't understand why they made it wider. Maybe to beef it up a bit?

I have a towball mount Thule as well. Fab for speed but pain for boot access.

Just to echo the recommendation for roofracks.co.uk. I bought my 210 Thule roof bars and roof box from them, and they were absolutely superb. They set it up for one key for both bars and box, and gave me two spare keys just in case I lose a set or two. I got the box for £150 cheaper than it was supposed to be because he had one lying around which was a demo model - not even a scratch on it, but I wanted to buy a smaller one because it was cheaper, and he suggested I take the bigger one at the same price as the smaller one (which was a great decision, the small one would have been too small for us).

Superb service, and well worth going to.

-simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom