Can anyone recommend a good DA type polisher

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul240z

Car
C200 W202
I've decided to have a go at correcting the paintwork on my car ( guards red 944 porky )

Been looking at purchasing a DA polisher to try and bring the paint back and get rid of the swirls etc.

Has anyone bought such a machine lately? Also any advice on products to use.

Many thanks
Paul

+2 great bit of kit

I use a Bosch, can't remember the model number I'm afraid and I'm at work so it's not to hand.

I have the Meguiars one, think its the G220? Had it a number of years, works a treat although be careful on Mercs, paint is very thin!

Another Guards Pink 944 - been there, my first 944 had that problem!

First thing to buy is clay - I'd recommend Bilt Hamber, the £10 block is enough for 4 cars as you only need 1/4 of the block (unless you drop it, in which case throw it away and get a new piece!).

So, once the car is washed, clayed and washed again, you need the DA (mine is also a Kestrel DAS 6), the correct pad and paint correction fluid. For this I'd recommend 3M Perfect-it, not cheap at about £30/litre but very good. There are different grades depending on how bad the paint is, you may need a coarser grade to start off then the 3000 grit polish to finish with - 3M also sell the appropriate pads for each fluid. Have a spray bottle of water handy to keep the fluid wet while machining.

Forgot - also get a roll of 25mm 3M blue masking tape and tape any edges, screen wash jets etc!

When I did my 968 coupe I started with one wing, gave it the full treatment, the difference was amazing and lasted very well - but it's a time consuming job!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

DAS-6 it is then.

Yes another pink Porky, I'm going to see how well it responds before deciding if it needs a full or part re-paint, but it will be good practice for the new DA polisher as I'll be wanting to get plenty of use out of it over the years.

I had our Merc detailed by a professional last week and having watched the guy closely thought I'd try it myself next time. fair do's to the guy who did the Merc though, he did a cracking job. If I can get results anything like this guy I'll be well chuffed. The Merc is now for sale ( C200 with only 29K listed in classifieds on here ) I took a video of it after the guy had finished see for yourself, looks fantastic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=knply5MRolw&feature=youtu.be

As part of my business we're a distributor for Flex powertools (German made stuff), So if anyone is interested in one of their products let me know and I'll see what prices are available for the car orientated stuff (we sell stonemasonry tooling)

I have used a DAS 6 also, Great bit of kit for starting out. Keep an eye out for rebranded products like Dodo Juice etc as sometimes they can be picked up for a reasonable price also!

We're distributors for Autobrite Direct, and in our business we use 2 of these DA21 DUAL ACTION POLISHING MACHINE

Really good machines, currently on offer if buying direct. They also have all of the products you could possibly need to do what you want. Give them a call and speak to Dan or John and tell them the IOW suggested you call. HTH :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom