Can Anyone recommend a totally silent PC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450h F-Sport with Takumi Pack 2020
I'm looking to keep Mrs WN happy and me still able to reside in the lounge :eek:

I need (read - have been told) to get something that doesn't emit a constant fan noise, have a noisy HD (of the two currently working one is fairly quiet the other sounds like a turbine spooling up!) and a DVD R/W that doesn't set the desk buzzing..

It needs to be powerful enough to run graphics (PSP) for photo editing and 'run of the mill' office applications.

Any ideas?

Its called a Mac Pro :D

Joking aside I have a listing going on ebay tomorrow which is a Mac Pro 2.8 8 Core machine with upgraded RAM, Graphics Card and Hard Disk space. Its a bit of a beast. You can put windows on it.

If your interested let PM me.

If you're prepared to do a little DIY you could probably insulate your current pc. Add some foam padding. Get fans with a bigger Circumference and slower (sdjustable) speeds.

Even something as simple as situating it in an area that gets better ventilation will make most average PCs run better. mainly because the core temp will be lower meaning the fans won't work as hard.

On a more practical note. My new core i5 15" macbook pro hasn't been off in days, and I can't remember the last time I heard it. I've been on it constantly photoshopping, converting video and using it as a file server, ect....

not only that if it gets too loud for Mrs WN it can be moved to another room :D

Its called a Mac Pro :D

Joking aside I have a listing going on ebay tomorrow which is a Mac Pro 2.8 8 Core machine with upgraded RAM, Graphics Card and Hard Disk space. Its a bit of a beast. You can put windows on it.

If your interested let PM me.

Methinks that's going to be even louder!!

I think anything with a fan in it is going to be (or get) noisy. I did build my own PCs before but they weren't silent ..

Sony Media PC's are pretty much silent..

VGX-XL100, XL201, XL301 etc....

I have a VGX-XL201 in my lounge as a media PC and no-one, including my Mrs ever comments about it being noisy.

Liquid cooling is an idea as long as you get a quiet pump!

macbook pro :)
swear by them...
they will even run windows, if you really really wanted a pc...

In terms of noise, from noisiest to quietest:

Small fans (e.g. laptop)
Large fans (e.g. 12cm fans)
Water cooling with a single large fan
Fanless cooling systems (e.g. Zalman's)
(Oil-immersion (in parethesis as these are rare and hard to come by. Also, many require external fans))

Mac's are quiet... until you turn them on - then they're just like any other computer :p

There are a few companies around that do them - but this tends to be the domain of Media Center PCs (nothing ruins a good movie more than the buzz of a computer).

One question: are you looking to self build or buy complete? I can drop some suggestions either way.

M.

Thanks Spinal, suggestions gratefully received :)

I'd like to compare both routes. I like self build but also like the comfort of the guarantee that comes with ready built.

If you want to build your own silent PC you could do the following:

CPU Cooler - big heatsink instead of fan.
GFX Card - Get a model with a heatsink insted of fan.
Case fan's - remove, or get some high end silent ones (Which are still cheap really)

The only thing I can't work out would be power supply, as they tend to always have fans. That said, they are pretty quiet already.

If you want to build your own silent PC you could do the following:

CPU Cooler - big heatsink instead of fan.
GFX Card - Get a model with a heatsink insted of fan.
Case fan's - remove, or get some high end silent ones (Which are still cheap really)

The only thing I can't work out would be power supply, as they tend to always have fans. That said, they are pretty quiet already.

Quiet PC UK website lists some power supplies that only switch on the fan if required and then variable speed. I suppose with a unit spec'd with sufficient capacity it won't be working hard, so little heat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom