can anyone tell me about..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
Volvo V40's.

The estate version.
I need to buy a load lugger for a few jobs in the new year. All the small vans I have seen look like concrete has been mixed in the back and a rabid dog has lived in the front.

An estate would suit me fine. I won't be doing long runs or carrying tons of gea. They look quite cheap..is that for a reason?

Budget up tp 1200 notes.

Cheers.

Volvo S40/V40 1996 - Car Review | Honest John
First generation replacement for 440/460 built on a shared Mitsubishi Carisma platform[ some parts exchangeable] at Nedcart plant in Born, Holland. Both S40 saloon and V50 estate. Improvements with Ford's takeover in 2000 till production run out in 2004. 2004- 2012 MODEL much better ---shares same platform and running gear as the ford Focus. Volvo S40 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi! I owned a 2002 1.9d V40 estate (phase 2) for a few years until it was written off when someone smashed into it whilst parked. My thoughts - very comfy car, I had the winter pack which includes thicker carpets, heated seats. It was 119 bhp which was plenty for running about in. Towed well. Did 600 miles in a day in it quite comfortably. Reasonable stereo. Went through front tyres quickly - they all seem to. Went through rear coil springs on a bi-annual basis - again a common fault. Other than that a pleasant car. Not huge, comparable with a c estate. Well thought out interior - front seats flip forward so help with accommodating large loads and access when strapping in baby seats etc. I'd have another one if I needed to - do prefer a merc though!! Good forum here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk Shout if you've any questions. Just be aware not to be confused - they stopped the original v40 in 2004 (as already said - a joint project with Mitsubishi, sharing some aspects with the charisma) then re introduced the name on a totally different model, hatchback only in about 2011.

I've just remembered - the boot was an odd shape with a rather large lip - not a great load lugger. A small estate car not a huge one by any means!

Sister in law discovered that if you reverse off a kerb that you had wedged the front bumper on you would leave it behind driving a V40. She discovered on the same kerb that this was not a one off....

Thanks for the comments so far gentlemen.

I am only going to doing 2-3000 miles a year. I only need to carry my tools and other odds and ends. They appeal to me because they look comfy, well equipped and not thrashed.

A cup holder, the ability to tune into radio 2 and to look a bit classy are also rather important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom