Can anyone track down the owner of a registration?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How do we know she never realised she had hit your vehicle? If the damage is as you say only minor then please try to accept they might not have realised. Loud music, on the phone :dk: :dk: (hands-free) But if they did know, then how many times have they done this?

It is a cowardly, dishonest thing to do and you are being punished for their unlawful act (if they were aware)

She definitely knew. My wife beeped at her continuously. She also looked over when she realised she had hit the car but decided to quickly straighten her car up and drive off rather than park it in the space she was trying to.

The wife has had two non fault claims over the last two years and her insurance premium was not effected at all , with Direct Line.

First time she was hit from the rear , person naffed off but we got the reg number , reported it to the insurance and Police and both were excellent. Police were going to charge the male owner as he was not going to pass on the females drivers details although he eventually did when he knew his bollocks were on the chopping block , although it did take almost 12 months to sort out with numerous letters and calls from Direct Line.

Second time the car was hit whilst parked , fortunately the person left details and that also went through as a non-fault claim.

With no witnesses or DC footage it may be a bit of an uphill battle , best you can hope for would be a 50 / 50 claim which would impact on your insurance.

If it is not a costly repair then it maybe and idea to get it fixed and move on , although it would pi$$ me off knowing they got away with it.

K

Thank you all for the replies. It's always good to sleep on these things, even though I know 24 hours would have elapsed and I could then be asked questions as to why it wasn't reported earlier? The damage isn't huge and I was more pissed at the fact she purposely drove off and that she should get penalised for it.

On reflection, I have decided not to pursue it for a couple of reasons.

1. The damage is minor and it's not worth getting the insurers involved for a possible hike in my own premium
2. It happened in my wife's work car park. Her car is there on an almost daily basis and I don't want her getting any hassle from anyone because of it being reported to the police. Had it been my car, it would have been a different story

She definitely knew. My wife beeped at her continuously. She also looked over when she realised she had hit the car but decided to quickly straighten her car up and drive off rather than park it in the space she was trying to.

Thank you all for the replies. It's always good to sleep on these things, even though I know 24 hours would have elapsed and I could then be asked questions as to why it wasn't reported earlier? The damage isn't huge and I was more pissed at the fact she purposely drove off and that she should get penalised for it.

On reflection, I have decided not to pursue it for a couple of reasons.

1. The damage is minor and it's not worth getting the insurers involved for a possible hike in my own premium
2. It happened in my wife's work car park. Her car is there on an almost daily basis and I don't want her getting any hassle from anyone because of it being reported to the police. Had it been my car, it would have been a different story
You could just do what I did and get her address from the DVLA for a fiver. The fact you tracked her down may be enough to put the wind up her and she might settle outside of involving Police or insurers. Thats what happened in my case. And if she doesn’t reimburse at least you have the satisfaction that she would have got a shock you tracked her down.

You could just do what I did and get her address from the DVLA for a fiver. The fact you tracked her down may be enough to put the wind up her and she might settle outside of involving Police or insurers. Thats what happened in my case. And if she doesn’t reimburse at least you have the satisfaction that she would have got a shock you tracked her down.
I have thought of that and it's a fair point. Driving off is very easy as there is no confrontation and no you think you have gotten away with it. When someone knocks on your door and confronts you about it, it can make someone think twice

This is what I would do as it doesn't involved the insurers but appeases the injustice.

How about waiting in the same car park same day around the same time or earlier.
Incase the person in question uses the C/P again.

Block the car in and confront the driver.
Ask at work if any one there owns that car.

what was the car have you checked Askmid if it’s insured.
DVLA is the Tax and mot valid.

How about waiting in the same car park same day around the same time or earlier.
Incase the person in question uses the C/P again.

Block the car in and confront the driver.
Ask at work if any one there owns that car.

what was the car have you checked Askmid if it’s insured.
DVLA is the Tax and mot valid.

It is a supermarket and so used by lots of people however most are local. I have checked and the car does have Insurance, tax and MOT. I am pretty sure it will be there at some point, people usually stick to the same shops they go to, although she may steer clear for a while.

The wife has had two non fault claims over the last two years and her insurance premium was not effected at all , with Direct Line.

First time she was hit from the rear , person naffed off but we got the reg number , reported it to the insurance and Police and both were excellent. Police were going to charge the male owner as he was not going to pass on the females drivers details although he eventually did when he knew his bollocks were on the chopping block , although it did take almost 12 months to sort out with numerous letters and calls from Direct Line.

Second time the car was hit whilst parked , fortunately the person left details and that also went through as a non-fault claim.

With no witnesses or DC footage it may be a bit of an uphill battle , best you can hope for would be a 50 / 50 claim which would impact on your insurance.

If it is not a costly repair then it maybe and idea to get it fixed and move on , although it would pi$$ me off knowing they got away with it.

K

1 maybe 2 no faults is generally no probs but try putting in 3 and you are completely fooked.

Back in the day you could always slip a bent solicitor a drink and they would get the details for you :)

Not that I've ever gone down that route with paint stripper in a water pistol after finding out a never do wells details :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom