Can Auto boxes burn ATF?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imbck666

Car
Mercedes W124 230E Saloon (SOLD), W210 E200 (WRITTEN OFF), W210 E240 2001 Facelift, W211 E220 cdi 07
^^ Question in the title :))

Im loosing atf and having to top up every week..

Every week beginning I would check my atf and spot it going down,
just wanted to know where its going..
I cant find a leak anywhere as I park on the drive every night after work and its bone dry when I check..

Could my auto box be burning atf? Is this possible or can there be a leak somewhere else, not allowing it to leak on the ground?

Thanks

Auto boxes do not burn the fluid off.

If you are having to top it up, then there is a leak somewhere.

Check the gearbox oil cooler pipe below the radiator, my dads W124 was leaking from here and it wasnt leaving puddles on the floor as it was collecting in the undertray.

Hope that hepls

Last edited:
Could it be leaking into the radiator itself and mixing with the coolant? If the coolant is over-filling does not it discharge the excess when it heats and expands?

The cooler is not a part of the radiator, just a metal pipe that runs sort of underneath it and slightly behind.

My dad didn't spot the leak until the pipe completely let go and all the fluid came out!

wow that was quick.. thanks for the replies so far ..

Ive checked the cooling pipes and there is no leak around the rad area..

I dont think its leaking into the rad.. Interestingly enough thats what I thought of first and drained all of my coolant and refilled.. only to find it was perfectly clear of any atf/oil .. so it beats me as to where the atf is going..

Glad to hear its not burning it off.. :)

If the auto box has a vacuum modulator, the diaphragm can split allowing ATF up the vacuum pipe and then it gets burnt by the engine.

I stand corrected

I thought the cooler was the metal pipe!

As this rotted when the radiator was leaking and as the undertray has no holes in it on the 124 we have got, the pipe sat in water and antifreeze for however long!

If the auto box has a vacuum modulator, the diaphragm can split allowing ATF up the vacuum pipe and then it gets burnt by the engine.

+2 for that, any exhaust smoke when pulling away from standstill after idling?

No smoke, nothing when pulling away or standstill. I'm lost :s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom