Can bad tyres cause a harsh ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarangimaster

Car
S500 W140
Hey guys, when I bought my car it was probably sitting on a farm for a little while. I've gotten my suspension checked out and everything seems in check and replaced a few parts.

I've still got a harsh ride, and recently done a wheel alignment. About 60g and 50g were put on the rear tyres, 10g and 15g on the front. Could bad tyres be causing a harsh ride on my w140? By harsh I mean feeling all the imperfections/bumps on the road.

Thanks

If it was sitting for a long time, and you have not changed the tyres, then yes. The tyres will probably be out of round at the very least.

What pressure are your tyres at? I generally like to run at around 33psi, anything more and the ride gets quite harsh.

Low profile tyres will also make the ride more harsh.

Has the car been lowered?

Everything on the w140 is stock, 16 rims and not lowered, run at 32psi all around.

I have Goodyear NCT5's at the back which have been on there for a long while but the front has been changed a a year or two ago but then it sat for a while.

Been a few mechanics they say theres nothing wrong with the suspension so guess Ill just change the tyres anyway and see if that helps!

Buying tyres at 235/60/16 is pretty damn expensive, I can get the Kumho KH31's fairly cheaper (around 90 a tyre), anyone have experience with these? Would they be ok on such a large luxury car?

Thanks all!

You are avoiding saying what the fronts are, are they crappy chinese things, don't be shy, we wont laugh, LOLOLOLOLOLOL :D
Seriously, there were Nankgank 611 touring crappos on the front of mine when I bought it, I put Michelins on and the ride was much improved :thumb:

Haha seriously I cant remember of the top of my head, I think they are low-mid range branded tyres :D

Wish I could put Michelins on mine, cost about £230 a tyre at 235/60/16!! My options are kumno kh31 (£81) or Falken ze912(£103). Ultimately looking for the smoothest, quietest ride!

Last edited:
I have Falken ZE912 on the rear, not as comfy as the Michelins, but ok

Just to throw a few more brands I could buy out there:
Hankook Ventus Prime 2 K115
Toyo PROXES CF 1
Uniroyal RainExpert

sarangimaster said:
Just to throw a few more brands I could buy out there:
Hankook Ventus Prime 2 K115
Toyo PROXES CF 1
Uniroyal RainExpert

Take a look at the new Nokian tyres. The company is better known for their winter tyres but the Nokian ZG2 is very good according to reviews. For my wheel, 245/45/17 this tyre is £117 from Oponeo.

The tyre load rating has an effect on the ride as well, the higher the number the stiffer the side walls. A light car with heavy duty tyres would suffer, though perhaps not a problem with a S500!

For the 'smoothest, quietest ride' I can recommend ContiPremiumContact 2, or ContiEcoContact 5 (but avoid the sportier Conti Sport Contact). They are not cheap though.

here in Korea I have been riding round on Hankook and Kumho tyres in a very wide range of vehicles. Very impressed, especially with Hankook. Previously neither brand has ever been considered for my cars in the UK, but I must say I'll look next time I need some.
Weather here has been similar to the UK so all who bought winter tyres for the first time this winter are wishing they hadn't.

(not in Suffolk at the weekends)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom