Can Bus Interface for Command

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jblackCLK

Car
320CLK 98 W208, MK1 Fiesta XR2 Fly (Convertible)
Hi All

I've got myself a Command Head Unit Part Number A208 820 40 89. Which I would like to install in my 98 CLK320. The thing is my car doesn't have Can Bus and I certain the unit I have does. I've read Flyer's How to install and in that he has a Can Bus interface which appears to convert the cars discreate wiring into Can Bus signals for the Head unit.

The problem is I cannot find any information on, or where to buy this adapter anywhere. I can find info on Can Bus adapters which go the other way, ie convert Can Bus signals into normal on/off wires but I cannot find anything going the other way.
Does anyone have any ideas?

My other option is (if possible) to recoded the unit as an ML unit. Does anyone know how to go about this

Cheers

Hi All

I've got myself a Command Head Unit Part Number A208 820 40 89. Which I would like to install in my 98 CLK320. The thing is my car doesn't have Can Bus and I certain the unit I have does. I've read Flyer's How to install and in that he has a Can Bus interface which appears to convert the cars discreate wiring into Can Bus signals for the Head unit.

The problem is I cannot find any information on, or where to buy this adapter anywhere. I can find info on Can Bus adapters which go the other way, ie convert Can Bus signals into normal on/off wires but I cannot find anything going the other way.
Does anyone have any ideas?

My other option is (if possible) to recoded the unit as an ML unit. Does anyone know how to go about this

Cheers

Flyers HOWTO is the one for you.

I emailed you some links for where to buy the CANBUS adapter. Did you not get it?

Problem is I cannot make head no tail of the links as they are both German sites with no English translation.

I've found an email address on both of them and sent them a request for info.

I'm starting to think it may be better selling mine and buying a none Can Bus one

I'm starting to think it may be better selling mine and buying a none Can Bus one
The non-canbus units are slightly more rare second-hand and if you ever intend to swap the cluster and steering wheel then the you already have the right unit.

Hi Jonathan, got your PM, but may as well answer here :) The canbus interface came with the COMAND unit I bought off a member her, SteveBCS, but I very much doubt he would now know where to get one from.

Alfie would be the best source and I see he's already replied. Would one of the links be megacomm.de? They used to sell to end-users, then they stopped, don't know if they've started again. Actually, just checked and they appear to be a software house now!

Have you visited the sites through Babelfish?

Other than that, sorry don't know where else. Probably worth persevering with though :)

Success!

Its all about the search phrase isn't it. I was looking for the wrong thing.
Its not a CanBus Adapter I need its a CanBus Simulator.
Once I realised this I googled CanBus Simulator and found a number of sites selling what appears to be the doobry I need. The problem is they are all in Germany and in German.

Once I've found exactly the part I'll post back for future reference

Cheers

Have you tried getting google to translate the sites? Pigeon english or worse but better than my german!

update

I've found Can Bus Simulators online for 79eur but they only appear to do lights and ignition and not speed.

As far as I understand is a CanBus Command unit gets its speed pulse from the CanBus. If this is the case then what is the point of a convertor which doesn't supply this???

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick and then all use the standard speed pulse wire it just goes into a different pin?

As far as I understand is a CanBus Command unit gets its speed pulse from the CanBus. If this is the case then what is the point of a convertor which doesn't supply this???

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick and then all use the standard speed pulse wire it just goes into a different pin?
There are two pins on the back of comand that will accept a speed pulse, I previously wired mine for both but I think only one was used. The other pin location (not found on the usual headunit ISOs) is probably the one you need to wire up. You could drop it out of the ISO plug and move it to the other connector without having to do very much work.

Have you got a pin diagram for comand?

Check this interesting link out

http://teletehnika.km.ru/articles.php@id=181

Has all pins out for most MB head units.

Top one is my comand unit and it has a speed input on pin 6 of C2 connector.
I'm starting to think a can bus convertor is not needed for speed.

Only one way to find out for sure and thats to fit it and see

Top one is my comand unit and it has a speed input on pin 6 of C2 connector.
I'm starting to think a can bus convertor is not needed for speed.

Only one way to find out for sure and thats to fit it and see
Useful thanks!

I don't think the canbus simulator is needed for the speed pulse but you will find out when you try to use it. Comand only uses gps every few seconds to back up what it's worked out from the gyroscope and speed pulse data, if speed pulse isn't working then the navigation map bounces and jerks all over the place as it thinks the wheels aren't turning but the position is changing :)

update

I've found Can Bus Simulators online for 79eur but they only appear to do lights and ignition and not speed.

The W203 pre facelited Comand units take their speed pulse from the CANBUS, the A208 and A210 units do not. The speed pulse needs to be connected to C2 pin6 and A pin 1 although there is some discussion whether both are needed. I always connect both myself. ML units A163 only require speed pulse on A pin 1.

The CANBUS emulator is required to ensure the lighting works and probably the ignition feed is maintained. Otherwise you may well find that the Comand unit turns off after a while. Its always best to get the right comand unit for your car. In your case you really need an earlier A208 unit or an ML one which does not require canbus.

I've never fitted one with a CANBUS emulator as its a lot easier to use a more appropriate unit for the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom