Can Flaking On Wheels Be Repaired?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spooky

Car
landrover freelander
I looked at a 2004 M Class today that was in pretty good nick. However, the chrome/paint on two of the wheels is flaking off in patches. Can this be treated, and if so, by who, and how much? Cheers.

NO. Unfortunately the whole car has to be scrapped.

I love this forum

Hello

Were the wheels chrome plated ? (shiney) or Alloys (duller finish)

I would think you could do a pretty ok DIY job on normal alloys. However Chrome....I doubt it. If they are 17" then your probably looking around £50 to £70 for a refurb (tyre off proper job).

A smart repair (on the rim) probabaly a bit less.

Also if your looking at an ML, check under the arches for rust and under the rear handle part that you open the hatch back with.

I had an ML for over 3 years and loved it, look out for the Inspiration or Special Edition models as they offer some nice extras.

Nope.

But I've never come across as some kind of MB expert.

Was your previous post, below, useful?

NO. Unfortunately the whole car has to be scrapped.

Yes. It raised a laugh, even for the O/p.

You don't need to be an MB expert to tell the O/p that the wheels can be refurbed, so why haven't you? :dk:

I, on the other hand, haven't castigated any other poster.
If you aren't going to help, it's probably time to get off your soapbox. :)

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Sorry, got the same issue with my wheels. There are varying levels of wheel refurb, as far as I know. Basic would be maybe £30 - £40 per wheel. Wheels and tyres stay on car and can be done by a mobile company. Not sure how long the repair would last.

Upper end of the scale is when wheel is removed, tyre taken off and then the rim is dipped in acid, followed by a full makeover. This (again, as far as I know) can be £70 - £80 odd per wheel.

Welcome to the forum, by the way :thumb:. It will grow on you :)

The quality of Mercedes wheels is truly appalling. All 4 wheels on my car are badly corroded under the laquer. Mercedes have agreed to replace them under warranty. BUT - because of some minor curb damage on two of the wheels eexpect me to make a contribution of over £700! This comes on top of the injector issues and ruinous servicing costs that charaterise the whole Mercedes ownership experience. I told them to get stuffed and was getting ready to do battle with them, but today I did the next best thing to scrapping the car. I agreed a trade in deal for a new Audi. Counting the days to this complete and utter heap of junk and its arrogant, useless manufaturer/dealers being out of my life. I feel liberated!:bannana:

Im surprised at the number of people that buy a German car, have reliability quality control issues and then go and buy another German car of even worse build quality. If this is a major concern then buy Japanese.

VW and Audi have to be among the worse. Out of the frying pan...

I totally agree MB-BTurbo.... I've nearly always had German cars other than when I was a kid, I recently sold my X5 as it was a total money pit for the year I had it... I've replaced it with a very high spec fast 4x4 estate that's Japanese...
The Legacy goes like stink, looks understated and can carry just as much as the X5... And it's fully loaded....
The 911 has cost me nothing in the last year although ive only driven it for 2k miles due to health issues.... Saying that it needs a large service and aircon rads later this year.... So that's a 1.5k bill most probably....

Ive owned a Vauxhall, Ford, VW, Subaru and Mercedes all averaging around 5 years old. This is how I rate them from my experience from best to worse in terms of build quality;
Vauxhall, Subaru, Ford, Mercedes, VW.

The Vauxhall, Subaru and Ford never had anything I needed to pay for to put right. The Vauxhall I put first due the sheer amount of high reving teenage abuse I gave it, then the Subaru as it just did what it was supposed to do and the Ford although nothing faulty it had some rather odd quirks.

...The VW would have cost me £1700 in 11 months to put the suspension, ABS and steering so I sold it back to the dealer.

...The Mercedes, owned for 6months, has had almost completely new front suspension, steering rack, new calliper, dodgy electric windows, the 4 doors have been replaced due to rust and now the tailgate has rust. Total around £3000 - but fortunately done under a very good garages warranty (except the tailgate which is something I have to sort out). Although it has cost me more I put this marginally ahead of the VW as the VW just felt like a cheap pile of tat. It felt rattly and that the whole thing was about to ping apart any moment. The Mercedes does at least feel solid even if its been the most unreliable.

Although the cockpits in the German cars are undoubtedly of higher quality I believe this is at compromise to the rest of the car. If a car has a £25,000 price tag I would rather buy one that has had £20,000 put into the engine, suspension, steering etc and £5000 on making the insides nice than a marque that splits it 50/50.
I doubt Ill be German again unless its a very young car under a lengthy manufacturers warranty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom