Can I dismantle my Rear View Mirror?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigDusty

Car
C230K Elegance (W202) Manual
Hi All,

Need some help or advice.:confused:

My Rear View Mirror is rattling because the manual anti glare mechanism has become lose inside.

I was wondering if these mirrors can be dismantled for me to examine this mechanism for either repair or adjustments (e.g. screw come lose) or is it a sealed unit and thus have to replace it with a new one (or a second hand one if anyone knows of one going).

I have a picture of a mirror identical to mine just so you know what type I am dealing with.

If this was just a simple rear view mirror I would not think twice about replacing it but because it has the alarm sensor built in making it more complicated and expensive, then I thought I'd ask for some advice first.

Many thanks in advance.

rearview.jpg

Well if you're at the point where you're considering buying a new one, you've got nowt to lose by opening it up.

Its probably 'snap together' type construction. You just need to find the clips.

I always keep one of the old bone handled round end kitchen knives for opening these things, by inserting it into the join, with slight presure one way or the other will reveal the side with the fixing clips.

Malcolm

Hi Parrot & Tele,

If it's possible, I much prefer to be able to repair something rather than take the easier but more expensive option and buy a new one and replace.

Thanks to you both for the info. By what you say it must be possible to open the mirror so I will very carefully give this a go to see what the problem is. I will report back if I am successful or not.

Cheers
BigD

May I be so bold as to ask if you would take a few piccies of the dismantling?

The red bulb in my mirror has popped and I cannot for the life of me work out how to get in there to replace it.

Thanks in advance.

Stratman said:
May I be so bold as to ask if you would take a few piccies of the dismantling?

The red bulb in my mirror has popped and I cannot for the life of me work out how to get in there to replace it.

Thanks in advance.

I will be attempting to dismantle it hopefully on Thursday and will give a step by step with photos.

Cheers
BigD

they do come apart! , I had the LED changed in mine, its snap on snap off construction.

Big Dusty: Thanks for that. I'm looking forward to it.

Alps: It's the 'snap' that I'm worried about :eek:

stratman, :) take your time and take it easy and you should be ok

Stratman said:
Big Dusty: Thanks for that. I'm looking forward to it.

Alps: It's the 'snap' that I'm worried about :eek:

I have started a new post with a step by step process and photos on how I managed to repair my mirror. It wasn't easy but I must admit I'm glad I did it now.

Click on this link to go to my new post

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=32061

BigDusty said:
I have started a new post with a step by step process and photos on how I managed to repair my mirror. It wasn't easy but I must admit I'm glad I did it now.

Click on this link to go to my new post

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=32061

Well done and a good How To.

In future folks might try warming the mirror in a COOL oven before dismantling.

Dieselman said:
Well done and a good How To.

In future folks might try warming the mirror in a COOL oven before dismantling.

That's a very good idea, have added it to the how to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom