Can I do a handbrake turn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marc777

Banned
Car
E270 cdi Avantgarde; Wifes car Yellow VW Beetle (new shape)
My 8 year old son wants to know whether I can handbrake turn my E class using the foot pedal. Secretly I was asking myself the same question. Anyone tried it? ! :D

Marc

I think it must be possible :p not that I have tried it myself...

left foot on park brake.
right foot on accelerator.
left hand for steering.
right hand for park brake release handle.

I seem to recall someone posted an MB promotional video showing either an S or an E class doing a 360 spin down a long track and that must have involved the parking brake.

*EDIT* Let us know how you get on :p :D :devil:

S.

Steve_Perry said:
I think it must be possible :p not that I have tried it myself...

left foot on park brake.
right foot on accelerator.
left hand for steering.
right hand for park brake release handle.

S.

Hmmmm I'd be most impressed if you could do that in a manual without stalling the car!!

Not tried a handbrake turn myself..............yet. ;)

Why not impress your son and yourself by doing a burnout. :D

1. Switch off the traction control.

2. Engage Drive

3. Left foot on foot brake

4. Right foot - increase engine rpm (if at first it refuses or cuts back because you have your foot on the brake just press a little harder!) :devil:

5. As engine RPM increases gently release the brake pedal effort until the engine power overcomes the rear brake power.

6. As the rear wheels break away you can control the burnout with the accelerator and brake pedal, to remain stationary with rear wheels spinning is quite an art between balancing the brakes and gas pedal. To burn away in a cloud of smoke simply plant your right foot and release your left foot.

It works well on the 202, better with little or no weight in the back. Not sure if the new E is too sophisticated to allow this.

Disclaimer: Do not hold me responsible for worn tyres and broken gearboxes!!

Great fun when you get it right. :bannana:

Jimmy, I have just spent £680 on tyres and so I might give this a miss for a while! And Steve, your technique reminds me why I now have a hands free phone coz i'll need it!

Marc

Sp!ke said:
Hmmmm I'd be most impressed if you could do that in a manual without stalling the car!!
Man...u...al... ??
confused.gif
confused.gif
silly.gif
grin.gif

Umm I was thinking of auto's
wink.gif
I don't drive manuals that often, heh I'd be impressed if I drive the car down the road without stalling
silly.gif

*EDIT* Marc, heh good points mate :) Did you ever see the burnout AMG C32 video that was posted here a while back? Looked like fun until you saw the driver peeling off molten rubber from the back of the car afterwards. :crazy:

S.

Last edited:
Its easy !

Just wait for a rainy day & turn of ESP ! No need to mess about with the parking brake :devil:

.............. trouble is it happens when I least expect it . LOL

Last edited:
marc777 said:
My 8 year old son wants to know whether I can handbrake turn my E class using the foot pedal. Secretly I was asking myself the same question. Anyone tried it? ! :D

Marc

I would think so, but not very often. What he really should ask if you can do a handbrake turn in a Landrover Defender!

jimmy said:
Not tried a handbrake turn myself..............yet. ;)

Why not impress your son and yourself by doing a burnout. :D

1. Switch off the traction control.

2. Engage Drive

3. Left foot on foot brake

4. Right foot - increase engine rpm (if at first it refuses or cuts back because you have your foot on the brake just press a little harder!) :devil:

5. As engine RPM increases gently release the brake pedal effort until the engine power overcomes the rear brake power.

6. As the rear wheels break away you can control the burnout with the accelerator and brake pedal, to remain stationary with rear wheels spinning is quite an art between balancing the brakes and gas pedal. To burn away in a cloud of smoke simply plant your right foot and release your left foot.

It works well on the 202, better with little or no weight in the back. Not sure if the new E is too sophisticated to allow this.

Disclaimer: Do not hold me responsible for worn tyres and broken gearboxes!!

Great fun when you get it right. :bannana:

You mean like this video! :bannana:

http://backup-uk-reading.poundhost.net/d/DSCF0087.AVI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom