Can I hire a Drive hydraulic shaft puller?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Chicken or egg?
I guess a seized diff could overload and wreck a CV, a seized CV could wreck a diff. The surest I could be is that you didn't wreck the diff merely by removing a shaft. The racket it made destroying itself must have been something else!

Chicken or egg?
I guess a seized diff could overload and wreck a CV, a seized CV could wreck a diff. The surest I could be is that you didn't wreck the diff merely by removing a shaft. The racket it made destroying itself must have been something else!

Looking at the smashed metal you could see how a lump of shrapnel getting between the teeth would cause the damage we have.

It is surprising how the slip ring held the shaft against the efforts of various stronger & stronger tools. The thinking being that once the ring deforms, you are in a mess (stuck).

The chain video / method to shock the ring was brilliant and worked on the very first attempt.

Anyway. To see that diff gives one a fright. It is really that badly damaged. Looking on the US forums tells me that this is not isolated. I also spoke to a friend at a BMW Independent. They have seen similar.

We must not forget that the 4.8is V8 lump is throwing around lots of torquey things [emoji49]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snap rings can be stiff to overcome but I have to wonder if yours was aggravated by the pinion holding it having lost its centricity. By the look of the aftermath, the pinions within the cage were under some duress to rip the pins from the cage. Ultimately, you didn't need to remove the CV - removal merely highlighted something (very) wrong internally.
The whole set-up looks marginal. I'm just appreciative that I have access to lubricants that put up a better fight than the commonly revered stuff out there.

I was curious as to how that planetary gears cross shaft was retained in place on the differential carrier. It would appear its held in place by screws or pins as seen in this differential rebuild video. 1minute 50 into the video. I believe its the rear diff from a Triumph Spitfire
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well here we are a week on from re-assembly and the first drive.

All is still good. But I’m still at the horrible phase of hearing every noise as a “death rattle” every movement must be a catastrophic drive train seizure. Every different smell is an unseen engine fire.

We just need to get back to trusting and enjoying driving it again.

If anything I know it should be good if not better than it was prior to the failure(s). If only because I have watched it being rebuilt with quality parts and fluids by a very skilled mechanic.

Add to this the help from so many on here and we are good.

I have ordered up a load of fresh ATF & Diff fluids. In a couple of weeks I shall drain and replace what’s we just put in there. I know that’s it’s good stuff and this is overkill but I want to be sure that all that can be done? Has been done.

Interesting article here on rebuilding a MERCEDES SUV front differential.
You are being redirected...
One thing to note is that only certain replacement bearings are dimensionally suitable TIMKEN being OK but SKF NOT! Evidently the bearing outer race dimensions are different!

On the subject of the differential carrier bearings its interesting how they are held in place by being clamped by the two halves of the differential case split in the same plane as the drive shafts line *
This is in contrast to the BMW front diff where the diff case is split at right angles to the drive shaft line.

* in this respect the MERC front differential appears to be more in line with most rear differential designs where the differential carrier bearings may be held by separate internal brackets or by the casing halves.

Interesting article here on rebuilding a MERCEDES SUV front differential.
You are being redirected...
One thing to note is that only certain replacement bearings are dimensionally suitable TIMKEN being OK but SKF NOT! Evidently the bearing outer race dimensions are different!

On the subject of the differential carrier bearings its interesting how they are held in place by being clamped by the two halves of the differential case split in the same plane as the drive shafts line *
This is in contrast to the BMW front diff where the diff case is split at right angles to the drive shaft line.

* in this respect the MERC front differential appears to be more in line with most rear differential designs where the differential carrier bearings may be held by separate internal brackets or by the casing halves.

For sure we made the right decision to replace as opposed to repair that diff. It may yet make a matching pair of wash basins[emoji1782]

I love learning about things mechanical, always have done, since my earliest memories.

I also love the interaction that is to had in sharing knowledge and experiences. This is a job that shows how knowledge can effect a repair if you know how to get to it.

Steve’s (Toolmans) video clip of the shaft removal tool was a cracker. You can see the genuine joy in the guy who made the tool. Well you saw the same when we followed the bud and it worked first try for us. A great example of where a sharp shock trumps a long hydraulic pull or a massive lump hammer bash.

My health (or lack of it) has left me dependent and trusting on others now. Not what I ever envisaged. But there it is. The chap I have found and am using here in Kent is:

Chris Bodiam - CBD MOBILE MECHANIC
Chris Bodiam

He is pretty fearless but has the skills to match. Most of all he is trustworthy & friendly. Turns up when he says he will and does what needs doing. Has fixed electrical faults on my Pajero and complex mechanical faults (like above) on the X5.

Should you want to use him then please mention me to him. If you need further info then feel free to give me a call.

I would like if others can benefit from my good fortune in hooking up with him.

As always my thanks go out to Grober who is still battling away here[emoji51]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom