Can I jump start a CL600 V12?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Guys, thanks again - and sorry to cause a difference of opinion.

As I mentioned, my CL handbook says DO NOT use a jump starter but DO use a donor vehicle. Go figure, as they say on the other side of the pond.

Yes, I'm lucky that I have time and space to take the CTEK route but, if marooned in a car park somewhere if the lock(s) play up again, do I follow the handbook and turn down a jump starter from the breakdown chappie?

And, as for jump starting using a donor vehicle, yes connect leads with no engines running and disconnect with only the jumped car's running.

As an aside, I bought my jump starter after collecting my first auction purchase in 2014 (Sunbeam Talbot 90) when it had starting issues. The first time I connected it - it was dark - I forgot to check the car's polarity ... I knew it was positive earth, but neglected to notice that it had been changed to negative ... cue massive sparks when connecting the earth cable. Subsequently discovered the trafficators no longer worked, so hand signals it was all the way back from Poole to down here .... some 450 miles. Cue much French amusement and then annoyance.

I dread to think what would happen to a modern car if that happened ... perhaps only a few blown fuses or relays, but still a problem.

And, as for jump starting using a donor vehicle, yes connect leads with no engines running and disconnect with only the jumped car's running.
I have done both, with donor running and not running, used a jump starter and a spare battery, no I’ll effects on any version, just make sure you connect pos to pos and neg to neg on jump post under the bonnet if you have them,
Don’t worry just basic common sense, it will be fine.

What Car: "We prefer models with built-in safety features and alerts, to warn against wrongful connection, dead shorts, and a low charge on the car battery, when being used as a jump starter.
Your right, I was referring to the mythical spike, but they are basically batteries with a few foolproof features, I was taking for granted shorting out and wrong polarity as common sense.

I do like the mention of “and a low charge of the car battery” ? Why would you be using it if it wasn’t low ?

I do like the mention of “and a low charge of the car battery” ? Why would you be using it if it wasn’t low ?
Yep, as we said, Jump chargers have safety overrides in case of user error. So, if the battery's completely flat, there's an over-ride that detects that the voltage is below 2, as a safety feature. The user has to press a button to over-ride the restriction. That's to stop her from attempting to jump charge into something which isn't a solid battery circuit. (These things happen)

Again, it's safety devices to stop user mistakes such as not connecting to the battery securely. All of that is explained in the instructions and marketing materials for jump packs. It's a standard safety feature.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Guys, thanks again - and sorry to cause a difference of opinion.

As I mentioned, my CL handbook says DO NOT use a jump starter but DO use a donor vehicle. Go figure, as they say on the other side of the pond.

Yes, I'm lucky that I have time and space to take the CTEK route but, if marooned in a car park somewhere if the lock(s) play up again, do I follow the handbook and turn down a jump starter from the breakdown chappie?

As an aside, I bought my jump starter after collecting my first auction purchase in 2014 (Sunbeam Talbot 90) when it had starting issues. The first time I connected it - it was dark - I forgot to check the car's polarity ... I knew it was positive earth, but neglected to notice that it had been changed to negative ... cue massive sparks when connecting the earth cable. Subsequently discovered the trafficators no longer worked, so hand signals it was all the way back from Poole to down here .... some 450 miles. Cue much French amusement and then annoyance.

I dread to think what would happen to a modern car if that happened ... perhaps only a few blown fuses or relays, but still a problem.

Hi, did you manage to start her OK, or did you fry all your ECU's ?
Asking for a friend

Hi, did you manage to start her OK, or did you fry all your ECU's ?
Asking for a friend
Has it started yet ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom