can i paint my mouldings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barrieeld

Car
AMG
Just wondering if i could paint my garnish moldings (professionally of course!)

If so what type of paint should i be looking at (originally these molds were a black satin colour)

thanks

Intricate mouldings are always best sprayed using either aerosol or compressor gun. Your choice of colour/finish.
Brushing paint will cover and lose the finer details.

All of these things are 2 pack, and there are 3-4 different colours from clear to yellow to bring the colour out of the veneer. Cellulose in aerosols is no good as it will fall of the first spot of water, and you get the patches under the finish. This can only be done in temperatures of 20c or more. When hard 1 hour approx it can be polished with T cut to a high finish

Hi there TV. Can you tell me in more detail what i need to do here, can a normal paint place do this?

thanks

Sorry about the delay....

here are the pics as requested.

Attachments

• 03112007(001) (Small).jpg
    03112007(001) (Small).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 03112007 (Small).jpg
    03112007 (Small).jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Sorry I think that I have been talking cross thinking here.

These parts are Anodized aluminium and as far as I know this can only be done once (dipped in acid) that hardens the skin.

To take them off is a enormous job as all of the glass has to come out, even then they would have to be stripped and etch primed

Waxing them works for a while, but they soon show rain spots.

So sorry to raise your hopes

Ive had good results with these two products on Alluminium
both work really well and should make it look new

hmmm

is it not possible to paint then?

with that polish does that give the black colour back? As you can see from the pictures, the cars mouldings have went from satin black to silver....due to chemicals from numerous car washes.:mad:

hmmm

is it not possible to paint then?

with that polish does that give the black colour back? As you can see from the pictures, the cars mouldings have went from satin black to silver....due to chemicals from numerous car washes.:mad:

This is not the chemicals that do this, as I said it is a very thin skin hardening process that has a built in colouring.

Mask one off, and spray it if you like, mat black would be the best as you can use it without base coat, see how long it last. do wipe the surface first with spirit to remove any polish

Do you think its a pointless excercise Malcom, spraying i mean?

This polish that was mentioned i take it it doesnt give colour back to the mouldings but just polishes them up?

Do you think its a pointless excercise Malcom, spraying i mean?

This polish that was mentioned i take it it doesnt give colour back to the mouldings but just polishes them up?

The more you polish the more silver they will go, so not that.

I would give just one a light spray, but do mask everything off it goes where you would not believe.

Though I have done this on the same surfaces I have not used the things outside, mat black done thinly would not look out of place.

If you decide to I will tell you to do it

ok ill spray them, do you think i should just take it to some professional to do of is it easy enough?

ok ill spray them, do you think i should just take it to some professional to do of is it easy enough?

Masking off is important and so is the air temperature,it needs to be around 20c.
When de greased and masked off just do one pass with the aerosol,wait 3 mins and one more pass and leave it at that.

hold the can 9" away from the work to be done

If you had this done, the anodizing would have to be sanded off, to etch prime it, if this paint started coming off then no harm done.

thanks for the help malcom, ill give it my best go lets hope it does the trick.

ill let you know how it goes.

as a mater of fact does anyone know what the warranty is on these moldings? Because i think i may just go up to Merc and gripe to them about their state, i feel they should be replaced especially as all 4 are in this state!

I would be very interested if MB stump up some or all of the cost - I'd be surprised if they do though as the labour time will be considerable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom