Can I pick your brains- wheels & tyres?

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by flat6buster, Jul 27, 2011.

1. flat6buster

flat6buster Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C350e, 911sc, S320, E55K Estate
    My ML has AMG III alloys on it which I believe are staggered. Current summer tyres are 255/50 and 285/45.

I will have some winter tyres for the colder season (don't want to be embarrassed driving a 4x4 and being passed by all the clever bods with 2wd but winter tyres on!) but the stagger makes the rears pretty expensive.

If I bought Mercedes 18 inch 5 spokes (second hand) (the ones with the rectangles embossed in the rim) what size tyres would I need to maintain the correct rolling radius to keep speedo accurate etc.

I figure if I can pick up a set cheapish then I can keep them fitted and swap myself so I save on cost of tyres and also fitting, balancing etc etc.

Also can I get 19 inch steel rims this size from anywhere?

Thank you.

2. MarriedBlonde

MarriedBlonde Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 AMG Coupe/ML350 Cdi Sport/69 vw Bus
    I wouldn;t worry too much about getting stuck on the roads in winter. My wife's ML only has summer tyres fitter and the last 2 winters when everyone was stuck her car managed fine. I live in th emiddle of now where in the bootom of a dip and as soon as the snow or ice comes the road gets imassable and is lined with stranded cars.

For the 18" rims you would need to increase the tyre wall by one sixe so go from a 55 profile to a 60 profile.

As for getting 19" steely's I have no idea :)

J.

3. MarriedBlonde

MarriedBlonde Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 AMG Coupe/ML350 Cdi Sport/69 vw Bus
    Ok sorry my mistake the 19" rims use a 50 profiel tyre, so the 18" rims would use a 55 profile tyre.

4. DSM10000

DSM10000 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, RR 4.2 SC