Can I sell a cracked alloy..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobsavage789

Car
C43 saloon
Just failed an MOT with my w205 C43 due to a cracked alloy. £700 later, I have a new 19” and a slightly cracked 19” alloy wheel.

To try and claw back a tiny bit of money, does anyone have any bright ideas for where I might sell the cracked one? eBay only seems to have refurbished/welded ones…

Attachments

• AAFE2FDD-3A0D-4CE4-9D8E-99AEAEE4A586.jpeg
    AAFE2FDD-3A0D-4CE4-9D8E-99AEAEE4A586.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
People also cracked ones on there.

Many consumers forget that a repaired rim plus re-cut will set you back the thick end of £150.

Get quotes to fix then sell on giving potential buyer cost to repair.

It must still be holding air as you drove to mot station,that's good.

Just put it on ebay as cracked & needing a repair, put a minimum price you'll accept. I bought two C63 rears with cracks in for £100, cost me £150 to have them repaired, powder coated & a diamond cut lip on them.

Thanks for the replies: sounds like there is a market for cracked alloys, so I’ll try eBay, maybe mentioning the £150 cost of repair that seems prevalent here.

If I didn’t need a car urgently, I would have had it repaired and saved all that money (sigh…)

I'd go with Pete's suggestion and get it repaired and keep it.
If you hit anther pothole within your 12 months, you're going to kick yourself after paying out another £700 !

Good luck with avoiding pot holes on UK roads for 12 months :p Unless the car is a garage queen the odds are stacked against you. If you get it repaired and still have it unused after 12months it will still have a decent value ££

Good luck with avoiding pot holes on UK roads for 12 months :p Unless the car is a garage queen the odds are stacked against you. If you get it repaired and still have it unused after 12months it will still have a decent value ££
Yes, I see your point, even with my fewer than 6000 miles per annum.

I suppose I’m unlikely to lose anything by keeping it, and having it repaired as and when I need to; like a sort of insurance policy. All going well, I shan’t need it and can still sell it when I move the car on.

Thanks for the guidance all!

Thats some crack right there.
I also think I have a hairline crack in an alloy. For the last few years it looses pressure and needs pumping every 2 weeks.
I have had it dunked it water, had the tryre put back on, replaced the valve, still no joy.
Not wanting to hijack the thread per se but anyone got any thoughts?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom