Can I tell exactly what Sat Nav version I have ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Worcestershire

Car
W213 E220d SE Premium Estate
I have a W212 E220D SE Executive registered summer of 2012.
I do not know if the Sat Nav was a cross over version but I am really struggling to find a cheaper (than Mercedes) way to update the maps on my Sat Nav.
When I think I have found a version the unit in the picture matches mine, but the details given with it seem to think my car should not have the Sat Nav unit I have, they seem to think it was not fitted to cars till 2013.

Is there a code, or a secret menu that I can enter that will give me the definitive answer as to what Sat Nav unit I have ? I know it is running 2012 maps, I have found that info, but I need to dig deeper.

I think it is the Comand unit NTG 4.5, it has the SD slot but the updates suggest this was not installed until 05/13 ??

Your SatNav is COMAND NTG4.5.

The latest maps version is the top one listed in the screenshot below:

IMG-0684.jpg

Europe 2019 v18.0 P/N A1720045199

You can update the maps yourself, but you will need to purchase the maps data (or purchase it on a USB flash drive), and separately you will need to purchase a PIN code that is specific to your VIN.

Both the media and the PIN code can be purchased from:

www.comandonline.co.uk

BTW, the maps data for COMAND Navigation systems is produced by Mercedes Benz themselves (i.e. not by third-party), based on cartography data provided by Here (previously Navteq), which MB now part-owns.

As for a cheaper option for updating the maps... there isn't one. Not a legal one, anyway. What you really need is the PIN code, which is unique to your VIN and it is generated on MB's VeDOK system. So you can't really buy it from anyone else.

(There are 'hacked' PIN codes and various other options for sale online and on the likes of eBay etc, but proceed at your own risk....)

(There are 'hacked' PIN codes and various other options for sale online and on the likes of eBay etc, but proceed at your own risk....)
A very strong risk of bricking/locking your COMAND, rendering it useless

I appreciate the warnings, and the link to comandonline.co.uk, thank you

But I am still really interested in how I can get into the brain of the car to find out the exact version of Sat Nav I have in my car ?

Mercedes dealerships charge £100 for the pin code. This is less than commandonline or some random sellers on ebay so just go direct. Just ask the parts department for the part number of the maps you are interested in and ask for the pin from VeDoc. Shout out to MB Bromley who helped me out with this.

P.S. Just ask MB on Facebook messenger for info on which Sat Nav you have. Send them the VIN and they will reply...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom