Can low power transmission fluid make steering noises

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

meoldbangar

Car
C180 W202
Is just that when the engines cold - no steering noises
When warm I get noises when I make a sharp turn
I have noticed the PTF is low
Is is possible when I turn a bit of air gets in

Many Thanks

That might explain the belt type other noises
Will look into that

Many Thanks Stratman

I do think get the logic of this. Aren't they completely isolated from each other as systems, and do not share the same fluid.

Last edited:
Try the power steering fluid level. Mine was very slightly low and gave noises when turning. Top up fixed the problem. Only a very small amount of fluid was added!

I do think get the logic of this. Aren't they completely isolated from each other as systems, and do not share the same fluid.

You are right. I mean't power steering fluid (its me age)

I had a Saab 93 with a power steering fluid leak. I noticed it because of the noise the steering rack made, especially full lock. Topping up the fluid (and eventually curing the leak) cured the noises.

The steering noises happened after I had a new CAT. I sure the garage didnt charge enough for the CAT and I think they took a bit of the fluid out because when I drove it away the bonnet was bouncing on sharp turns. I took it back and the "mechanic" said oh the tyre was rubbing on the CAT. We have adjusted it.
I think they were trying to get some of their money back because no way can a tyre rub against the cat
I have ordered some fluid and I am positive after the help of this forum it will be cured
Many Thanks

Try the power steering fluid level. Mine was very slightly low and gave noises when turning. Top up fixed the problem. Only a very small amount of fluid was added!

Topped up and Yes! noises and whining gone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom