Can Mercedes Benz Survive in UK market ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastcar155

MB Enthusiast
Car
A fast car
Hi , If the MB business model does not change they can wave good bye to UK market along with Audi and BMW.

What makes you think that the third, fourth and fifth biggest car brands in the UK are under threat?

These three brands together sell seven times as many cars in the UK as Jaguar Land Rover.

Another excuse to start a pointless thread as the OP seems obsessed with cars falling apart from corrosion?

Hi , If the MB business model does not change they can wave good bye to UK market along with Audi and BMW.

I remember the same was said in 2000, when MB bought all the franchises and brought them in-house (only to sell some of them again in the following years). The service was appalling then and since... so if they have survived thus far, then this is proof that they simply don't need good customer care in order to thrive in the UK. Sad but true.

I remember the same was said in 2000, when MB bought all the franchises and brought them in-house (only to sell some of them again in the following years). The service was appalling then and since... so if they have survived thus far, then this is proof that they simply don't need good customer care in order to thrive in the UK. Sad but true.
Hi , but the market is changing !

Is there any car manufacturer who doesn't evolvie their business model ?

Even The Morgan Motor Company evolves its business model.

morgan-motors-factory-5.jpg

EDIT

Last edited:
Is there any car manufacturer who doesn't evolvie their business model ?

Even The Morgan Motor Company evolves its business model.

morgan-motors-factory-5.jpg
A bit off topic this :-
Well having seen this Moggie advert (kindly presented by MilkeinWimbledon) and scooting about on their web site AGAIN , it just confirms AGAIN, that this abandoned Riley in the back storage is going to get re-worked as an emulator of the brand. Remember emulation is the finest form of flattery!

The Riley back story:-
Have You Seen Any Interesting Cars On The Road Lately? | General Discussion

More of a winter project this, it re-kindles a passion in my youth to build my own car to impress the girl's in my native Gloucestershire.
Then I called the Boccerini Super Project & I had sketch drawings /fag packet ideas etc, back in the 60's when in tech college.
The enthusiasm waned when I got hands on BMW 2002 Ti , & big heavy motorcycles and loved the comments like you "flash bastard "! (BMW R90s)

Not a place in the busy main shop up against MB & LR/Jag stuff stuff, I have organized a space in the North Shop to roll in the already refurbished chassis onto a disused hoist .
Outside I was given a very low mileage take out 3,5 FIE Landrover engine & auto transmission which will be the basis of the new power pack.
I can't see me these days trying to impress the girls in Gloucestershire, who no doubt nowadays have now probably have grown mustaches, and Oh those "crumb trays", have dropped to lower levels! , Besides I would be branded in my maturity as a dirty old man! (Hell's fire lads !)

So to conclude,
As with most companies /brands it will either get eaten by a bigger more aggressive animal or die & go extinct like a dinosaur !
I rather think being an "MB enfuziast", MB being a vibrant company will simply reinvent its business model to take account of changing trends and Gubbermint regulations. Have no fear it will still be around perhaps morphed into something even MORE exciting.
Tuercas Viejas

Hi , thank you for a courteous reply.

With respect to most scribes on here we buy pre-owned cars ( me included) and in reality it makes little difference to Mercedes re monetary stability.

Already Mercedes route to market is changing but the real elephant in the room is the second hand value of 3 year old ex lease cars that come to market that drags down new car forecourt prices.

A friend of mine who works for one of the largest fleet owners in the UK will not entertain Mercedes products due to poor residual values and constant model changes.

Solution for this company is that they will not be offering company cars to new employees in the future or next car change but will be offering generous allowances for employee owned cars.

Another interesting point he mentions that the day of the company representative is numbered !

To much supply and not enough demand plus many other issues.

Get on your 🚴as NT might have said

Hi , thank you for a courteous reply.

With respect to most scribes on here we buy pre-owned cars ( me included) and in reality it makes little difference to Mercedes re monetary stability.

Already Mercedes route to market is changing but the real elephant in the room is the second hand value of 3 year old ex lease cars that come to market that drags down new car forecourt prices.

A friend of mine who works for one of the largest fleet owners in the UK will not entertain Mercedes products due to poor residual values and constant model changes.

Solution for this company is that they will not be offering company cars to new employees in the future or next car change but will be offering generous allowances for employee owned cars.

Another interesting point he mentions that the day of the company representative is numbered !

To much supply and not enough demand plus many other issues.

Get on your 🚴as NT might have said
Employers have been moving away from car schemes since the 1980's, as any Ford / Vauxhall / JLR enthusiast will explain.

Mercedes, BMW and Audi have all evolved their business model to offer PCP packages to the typical naive Company car escapee.

Three year old company cars have "dragged down" car forecourt prices since the 1970's.

The days of the "Company representative" ended in the 20th century. The wage slaves driving around in Company Teslas (low BIK) are managers, accountants, engineers, support staff, and marketing nomads. Despite rumours, installation engineers can't entirely work from home.

However, despite your allegation, there are significant tax / BIK benefits to slow down the movement away from company cars, especially for people who run their own businesses. New Teslas are a success in the UK because they're virtually a tax-free benefit for their users. That Tesla X is typically run for the tax break, not the environment.

Your comment about people driving around in used cars misses a key point. The UK registers 1.6 million new cars a year. With 33 million cars on the road, The other 31.4 million cars on the road are not new this year. Just one in ten cars are in the hands of their first owner. The UK car market is entirely about used vehicles.

Where’s DrFeelgood when you need him!!??

I’ll say it in his absence:

‘What is this shit?’

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom