Can Mercedes Benz Survive in UK market ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi ,

Thanks for your reply.

You have actually confirmed my thoughts in your reply !

Mercedes seems to have grabbed market share with A and B class on PCP. You see them everywhere.
All brands will get hit when three year old PCP cars start rolling back onto the market in tidal waves after Covid. Happy days for buyers.

Hi , well you are a great brand ambassador !
How do you determine that from a critique of your post?

Haven't Mercedes partnered with Renault? I could've sworn they are now using the renault 1.2 tce engines in their latest ranges of the CLA and A class etc. CLA180 I believe is the 1.2. I think they could do alright but who knows the future for sure?

Haven't Mercedes partnered with Renault? I could've sworn they are now using the renault 1.2 tce engines in their latest ranges of the CLA and A class etc. CLA180 I believe is the 1.2. I think they could do alright but who knows the future for sure?
MB have been using Renault engines in the smaller diesel variants for quite a while IIRC.

Our B class (2015) has a Renault engine! So that has been happening for sometime.....

Last edited by a moderator:
MB's private sales in the UK will continue to thrive as long as the brand image continues to be strong. You would think that poor customer service will tarnish the brand image, but for MB this does not seem to be the case, or at least this wasn't the case so far in spite of decades of poor customer service.

As for fleet sales, this is a highly competitive market, and the requirements for success there are very different.

MB have been using Renault engines in the smaller diesel variants for quite a while IIRC.
Sharing petrol engine and EV technology too for small cars.

I’m not sure what the basis of this thread is. Every business must evolve to survive, especially in a period of faster-than-usual change within it’s environment.

In the last decade Mercedes have reinvented themselves as a cool brand, a high performance brand, a supercar brand, a premium small car brand, and an EV brand.

If I was a car manufacturer executive choosing which car brand to emulate for the next 10 years, then it would be one of the big three from Germany: Volkswagen, Mercedes and BMW.

Those manufacturers most dependent upon low-cost small cars are perhaps the most at risk because they lose their USP with the additional cost of an alternative drive train.

Moreover the bigger risk is that their target market is most likely to be squeezed by the switch to mobility rather than car ownership. Their target market are typically younger and city dwellers.

Those groups are likely to switch to public transport, taxi/Uber, hire cars (both by the hour and the day/week), and maybe even the likes of micro cars and/or scooters for those open to the idea.

Ironically when I read the OP, on the first pass I thought it was a reference to Mercedes-Benz UK limited the choice available in the UK compared to other markets. Stuff like only black interiors, only Sport/AMG model designations, etc.

Those manufacturers most dependent upon low-cost small cars are perhaps the most at risk because they lose their USP with the additional cost of an alternative drive train.
The Koreans seem to have expanded massively their offerings across all drivetrain configurations.. MB are in comparison slow and limited in their offerings and tbh rather unreliable to boot!

The Koreans seem to have expanded massively their offerings across all drivetrain configurations.. MB are in comparison slow and limited in their offerings and tbh rather unreliable to boot!
Hyundai/Kia used to be the bargain basement option and developed a good return customer base.
The cars have got more expensive but the quality, dynamics etc have improved no end.
The warranties are long and very good.
The customer care side of things is very closely monitored and carefully trained.
Ultimately the RRP of the cars has gone up, but it doesn't matter because they are all on PCP and traded before the baloon.
As they have developed the newer more expensive models they have been designed around EV systems.

The average customer of H/K is not interested in badges etc, they don't care about performance and don't often test drive before buying. The absolute most important thing is if their phone pairs and can stream music. They want a trendy looking car, plenty of gimmicks, £300 a month and another nice new one in 3 years for the same.

An interesting example in how to get it very wrong is Mitsubishi.
Always an alternative brand for most but a loyal following (a lot like Saab and Bristol drivers in the past)
They offered something quirky and unique.
The launch of the Outlander PHEV was well timed with the tax loophole and was a great hit the ground running moment.
Unfortunately it wasn't a great and as others caught up it was left behind quickly and they ended up with a dull, unrewarding lineup that was way overpriced and some featured some pretty awful common faults and reliability issues.

Image is so powerful that any premium brand can live off it's past quality for decades but it won't last for ever just as the Japanese image of reliability won't last for ever if they let the reliability slip. Cars are now so complex and repair costs so potentially high that quality and reliability are more important than ever, at least to me they are. Reliability and durability from corrosion will be very high priorities when I come to change and if a Mercedes doesn't cut it after 27 consecutive years of MB ownership I will look else where even if that means a car with less image. I'd have a Lexus or Toyota in a heart beat on reliability grounds if not styling.

Hyundai/Kia used to be the bargain basement option and developed a good return customer base.
The cars have got more expensive but the quality, dynamics etc have improved no end.
The warranties are long and very good.
The customer care side of things is very closely monitored and carefully trained.
Ultimately the RRP of the cars has gone up, but it doesn't matter because they are all on PCP and traded before the baloon.
As they have developed the newer more expensive models they have been designed around EV systems.

The average customer of H/K is not interested in badges etc, they don't care about performance and don't often test drive before buying. The absolute most important thing is if their phone pairs and can stream music. They want a trendy looking car, plenty of gimmicks, £300 a month and another nice new one in 3 years for the same.

Was having a look at one of these yesterday ,as it was parked down the street, and it was a nice looking vehicle in black and made me look twice , something that offering from other manufacturers have not done recently.

Bit pricey at £38k ish but as you say the monthlies is the major purchasing factor for most these days.

K

An interesting example in how to get it very wrong is Mitsubishi.
Always an alternative brand for most but a loyal following (a lot like Saab and Bristol drivers in the past)
They offered something quirky and unique.
The launch of the Outlander PHEV was well timed with the tax loophole and was a great hit the ground running moment.
Unfortunately it wasn't a great and as others caught up it was left behind quickly and they ended up with a dull, unrewarding lineup that was way overpriced and some featured some pretty awful common faults and reliability issues.
I rented a Mitsubishi Outlander when I was in Australia a couple of years ago. It was fine and did the job intended without being exciting in any way. One day when driving back to Melbourne we stopped by a remote lake for a short break after a couple of hours. When we got back into the car it wouldn’t start, the battery was flat. Neither of our phones was in decent range of a cell, both cutting out within seconds of connecting to breakdown services. We hadn’t seen any habitation for some time and didn’t fancy just walking off in hope of finding something. After an hour or so a lady stopped to help and phoned for us; a further hour later and we were on our way again. Phew. It was just a one off but didn’t endear me to Mitsubishi.

Not only engines! The third generation A class W176 and derivatives platform was developed in conjunction with Renault.
Rumour has it that Mercedes could not produce a frontwheel drive platform economically enough to be profitable so went to Renault for the manufacturing expertise.

I’m not sure what the basis of this thread is. Every business must evolve to survive, especially in a period of faster-than-usual change within it’s environment.

In the last decade Mercedes have reinvented themselves as a cool brand, a high performance brand, a supercar brand, a premium small car brand, and an EV brand.

If I was a car manufacturer executive choosing which car brand to emulate for the next 10 years, then it would be one of the big three from Germany: Volkswagen, Mercedes and BMW.

Moreover the bigger risk is that their target market is most likely to be squeezed by the switch to mobility rather than car ownership. Their target market are typically younger and city dwellers.

Those groups are likely to switch to public transport, taxi/Uber, hire cars (both by the hour and the day/week), and maybe even the likes of micro cars and/or scooters for those open to the idea.
Hi Bobby Dazzler , again thank you for a courteous reply.Unfortunately as on many forums certain members like to throw punches but have glass jaws.

I don't expect many people to agree with my comments but what is a forum for : for me it is to express ones opinion.

If Mercedes had a real mind set change and provided even a good level of customer service it would be a start.

From my understanding Mercedes are introducing over twenty new models within the next few years , no doubt based upon EV platforms.

If you look at customer satisfaction surveys Mercedes do not do well regarding electrics , I say no more.

2016 plate car inspected for subframe and brake line corrosion.

Unfortunately as on many forums certain members like to throw punches but have glass jaws.

: for me it is to express ones opinion.

Waa hooo! We got a live one here! That’s fighting’ talk! 🥷

Ahhh, you’re one of them, OK to express your opinion, but not OK for others to express their differing opinions 🙃

You are indeed entitled to express your opinion, even if it is wrong! 😑🤣

I’m sure if MB decide to ‘do a Mitsubishi’ and leave the UKDM for their Renault colleagues to mop up, it will be their own decision.

2016 plate car inspected for subframe and brake line corrosion.

Crikey, sounds like a bit of a lemon. Is it a car you’ve bought? If so did you not have an inspection by yourself or a professional before you bought it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom