Can my car “auto brake” when on cruise control?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Always been amazed that my 17 year old CLS has Distronic. Absolutely love it and always use it on the motorway.

if you have the same star you have distronic
That used to be the external giveaway, but it's not necessarily the case anymore. For example, the grille on the W177 A-Class has the "filled in" centre star whether or not it is fitted with Distronic.

BTW, the Distronic system is far more complex than just software and controls in addition to the Collision Prevention Assist sensor (which, BTW, is a mandatory feature on all new cars in the EU - and UK - from May 2022).

Distronic uses multiple forward-facing sensors with different aiming directions and also different range responsibilities. I've previously had two W212's with it fitted and miss having it every time I drive on a motorway :(

I believe that all new cars now have the front radar for collision prevention.

All the cars I had that were equipped with this feature, and had cruise control, also had adaptive cruise control (Renault, Suzuki, and Hyundai).

I can understand that it's more than software that links the two, but at the same time, I think that MB are being far too granular in their options list by not offering adaptive cruise control as standard on all cars that are equipped with a front radar and cruise control.

I believe that all new cars now have the front radar for collision prevention.

All the cars I had that were equipped with this feature, and had cruise control, also had adaptive cruise control (Renault, Suzuki, and Hyundai).

I can understand that it's more than software that links the two, but at the same time, I think that MB are being far too granular in their options list by not offering adaptive cruise control as standard on all cars that are equipped with a front radar and cruise control.
TBH from experience if you are never going to use its best not having it. I bought a C220 few years back just for the distronic and 2 days later developed a fault. The MB garage took 1 week to find the issue after replacing the star badge, radar sensor and eventually after none of that working they traced it back to a wiring loom. The bill was expensive but was covered under warranty.

So my point is really these things arr amazing until someyhing goes wrong and become expensive to fix :/

The collision prevention assist (option code 258) radar is not behind the grill star but at the bumper.
That is just to stop you having an accident. It autobreaks the car if it thinks you are about to crash. Standard feature in all cars now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom